Parametric Design and Construction Optimization of a Freeform Roof Structure
The pioneering works by Poleni, Rondelet and especially Gaudì, shows how some structural principles related to the field of shape-resistant structures has been well-known for centuries. The design of structural shape has been approached differently; the more analytical way of engineering, such as the works of Dyckeroff and Widmann or the intuitive approach of engineering referring to the works of Torroja. The focus for the new structures was lightweight, large spans, functionality, efficiency and economy. This brought new developments of form-findings structures, i.e. a set of tools and strategies to find the form of ’structural minimum’ - in shells where the surface is mainly stressed in the plane with compression, tension and shear. The research started with the development of experimental tools, or physical models, reaching a high point with the work of Heinz Isler . However, this prosperous period has been concluded in about 20 years, since the rigid generative rules of shape-resistant structures brought to the rapid exploration of the complete family of potential shapes of shells during the 60ies.
KeywordsSolution Domain Corner Angle Parametric Definition Roof Surface Subdivision Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Torroja, E.: Philosophy of structures, 1st edn. University of California Press, Berkeley (1958)Google Scholar
- 2.Isler, H.: New Shapes for Shells, IASS Bulletin, no.8-C3, Madrid (1959)Google Scholar
- 3.Migayrou, F. (ed.): Architectures non standard. Centre Pompidou, Paris (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Basso, P., Del Grosso, A., Pugnale, A., Sassone, M.: Computational morphogenesis in architecture: cost optimization of free form grid shells. Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures 50(162), 143–150 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Rutten, D.: Evolutionary Principles applied to Problem Solving. Grasshopper3D (2010), http://www.grasshopper3d.com/profiles/blogs/evolutionary-principles (accessed June 13, 2011 )
- 7.Fisher, A., Sharma, S.: Exploiting Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis Professional API for Structural Optimization. Autodesk (2010)Google Scholar