Antineoplastic Properties of Parthenin Derivatives – The Other Faces of a Weed
A spiro-isoxazolidine derivative of parthenin namely SLPAR13 was taken up for this study which induced cell death in three human cancer cell lines namely HL-60 (acute promyelocytic leukaemia), SiHa and HeLa (cervical carcinoma) with various inhibitory concentrations. The cytotoxicity test was also done on the normal cells hGF (primary human gingival fibroblast) and the inhibitory concentration was found to be more than 10 times higher than HL-60 cells. The cell death was confirmed by cell cycle arrest exhibited by the test compounds in a concentration dependent manner in HL-60 cells. The nuclear condensation and morphological changes induced by the test compounds further marked the HL-60 cell death which was confirmed to be apoptosis by DNA ladder which is hallmark of apoptosis by the formation of 180bp fragments.
KeywordsTest Compound Acute Promyelocytic Leukaemia Human Cancer Cell Line Sesquiterpene Lactone SiHa Cell
- 3.A.K. Picman and G.H.N. Towers; Bioch. Syst. Eco. 11 (1983) 321–327.Google Scholar
- 5.M.S.K. Halmuthur, A.K. Saxena, S.C. Taneja, S.K. Singh, V.K. Sethi, S.D. Sawant, N.A. Qazi, M.R. Doma, A.H. Bandey, M. Verma,. and G.N. Qazi; US Patent (WO/2009/110007) (2009).Google Scholar
- 9.D.M. Reddy, N.A. Qazi, S.D. Sawant, A.H. Bandey, J. Srinivas, M. Shankar, S.K. Singh, M. Verma, G. Chashoo, A. Saxena, D.M. Mondhe, A.K. Saxena, V.K.Sethi, S.C. Taneja, G.N. Qazi and H.M.S. Kumar; Eur. J. Med. Chem. (2011) (in press).Google Scholar
- 12.S. Bhushan, J. Singh, J.M. Rao, A.K. Saxena and G.N. Qazi; Nitric Oxide 14 (2006)72–88.Google Scholar
- 15.R.A. Kirkland, J.A. Windelborn, J.M. Kasprzak, J.L. Franklin; J. Neurosci. 22 (2002) 6480–90.Google Scholar