Using Multi Core Computers for Implementing Cellular Automata Systems
A concept of cellular automata system (CA-system) is introduced as a model of comp[lex phenomena in which several interacting species are involved. CA system suggests a common work of several CA where each processes its own cellular array using in its transition rules cell states of others CA of the system. Taking into account that multi core computers with shared memory are nowadays widely used, a temptation to accelerate the computation by allocating each CA of the system onto one of computer cores is quite natural. Hence, it would be helpful to know what speedup can be obtained by such a parallelization. The paper is aimed to get an answer to this question by determining the conditions, when multicore parallel implementation of CA systems is expedient and correct, and develop the parallelization algorithms for typical CA systems. The results are illustrated by simulation experiments.
KeywordsCellular Automaton Shared Memory Local Operator Cellular Automaton Parallel Composition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wolfram, S.: Cellular Automata abd Comlexity – Collected paopers. Addison Wesley, Reading (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Toffolli, T., Margolus, N.: Cellular Automata Machine. MIT Press, USA (1987)Google Scholar
- 7.Deutsch, A., Dorman, S.: Cellular Automata Modeling of Biological Pattern Formation. Birkhäuser, Berlin (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Cataneo, G., Dennunzio, A., Farina, F.: A Full Cellular Automaton to Simulate Predatory-Prey Systems. In: Cruz, I., Decker, S., Allemang, D., Preist, C., Schwabe, D., Mika, P., Uschold, M., Aroyo, L.M. (eds.) ISWC 2006. LNCS, vol. 4273, pp. 446–451. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Chua, L.: CNN: a paradigm of complexity. World Scientific, Singapore (2002)Google Scholar