Introducing Variable Factors for Optical Backbone Interconnection Planning
This paper contributes to the field of physical network interconnection decision support. This type of problems are very complex to solve for two main reasons: The computational complexity is high due to its combinatorial nature and to the calculation of parameters to evaluate the solutions. Usually, these parameters are related to the deployment investment, or performance and reliability. Geographical and statistical factors are used for their calculation and are normally considered as constant regardless of the specific deployment place. The main contribution of this work is to consider these factors as variable, and to evaluate their effect. A case study is presented and vectorized maps and image processing is used in order to provide the proper scenario for the evaluation. The objective can be defined as a simple question: Is the interconnection decision different when these factors are constant or variable?
KeywordsVariable Factor Constant Approxi Deployment Cost Submarine Cable Area Division
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Liu, H., Tobagi, F.A.: Physical Topology Design for All-Optical Networks. In: 3rd International Conference on Broadband Communications, Networks and Systems, BROADNETS 2006, pp.1–10 (October 1-5, 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Tornatore, M., Maier, G.A., Achille, P., Villa, M., Righetti, A., Clemente, R., Martinelli, M.: Availability Optimization of Static Path-Protected WDM Networks. In: Optical Fiber Communication Conference 2003, Optical Society of America (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Gutierrez, J., Imine, M., Madsen, O.B.: Network planning using GA for regular topologies. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2008, China, pp. 5258–5262 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Grover, W.D.: Mesh-Based Survivable Networks, Options and Strategies for Optical, MPLS, SONET and ATM Network, 1st edn. Prentice Hall PTR, Englewood Cliffs (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Rados, I.: Availability Analysis and Comparison of Different WDM Systems. Journal of Telecommunications and Information Technology 1, 114–119 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Joergensen, T., Pedersen, L., Pedersen, J.M.: Reliability in single, double and N2R ring network structures. In: CIC 2005, Las Vegas, USA, pp. 2–4 (2005)Google Scholar