Improved Adaptive Arithmetic Coding in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Video Compression Standard
An Improved Adaptive Arithmetic Coding is presented in the paper to be applicable in contemporary hybrid video encoders. The proposed Adaptive Arithmetic Encoder makes the improvement of the state-of-the-art Context-based Adaptive Binary Arithmetic Coding (CABAC) method that is used in the new worldwide video compression standard MPEG-4 AVC/H.264. The improvements were obtained by the use of more accurate mechanism of data statistics estimation and bigger size context pattern relative to the original CABAC. Experimental results revealed bitrate savings of 1.5% - 3% when using the proposed Adaptive Arithmetic Encoder instead of CABAC in the framework of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video encoder.
KeywordsVideo Compression Video Encoder Arithmetic Code Syntax Element Test Video Sequence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISO/IEC 14496-10, Generic Coding of Audio-Visual Objects, Part 10: Advanced Video Coding (March 2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Special issue on H.264/AVC video coding standard. IEEE Transactions on Circuit and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13 (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Karwowski, D.: Advanced Adaptation Algorithms of Arithmetic Coding in Hybrid Video Compression. Doctoral Dissertation, Poznañ University of Technology (2008), http://www.multimedia.edu.pl/publications/doctoral/index.htm
- 6.Karwowski, D., Domański, M.: Improved Context-Adaptive Arithmetic Coding in H.264/AVC. In: European Signal Processing Conference EUSIPCO 2009, Glasgow, Scotland (August 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.H.264/AVC software coordination site, http://bs.hhi.de/~uehring/tml