Retracted Chapter: Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System CAIN Issues
The industrial control and SCADA systems that are responsible for monitoring and controlling our critical infrastructures and manufacturing processes historically have operated in isolated environments. These control systems and devices communicated with each other almost exclusively, and rarely shared information with systems outside their environment. As more components of control systems become interconnected with the outside world using IP-based standards, the probability and impact of a cyber attack will heighten. There is an increasing concern among both government officials and control systems experts about potential cyber threats to the control systems that govern critical infrastructures. With the posted threats and listed vulnerabilities, a retrofit for these threats through the crossed cipher scheme is the main contribution of this study. To get the best of both types of cipher (symmetric and asymmetric) to address the Confidentiality, Authentication, Integrity and Non-repudiation issues in SCADA system.
KeywordsSCADA Cryptography Asymmetric Symmetric
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ryu, D., Balitanas, M.: Security Management for Distributed Denial of Service Attack. Journal of Security Engineering 7(2) (April 2010) ISSN: 1738-7531Google Scholar
- 2.McClanahan, R.H.: SCADA AND IP: Is Network Convergence Really Here? IEEE Industry Applications Magazine (March/April 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.GAO-04-628T. Critical infrastructure protection: challenges and efforts to secure control systems. Testimony Before the Subcommittee on Technology Information Policy, Intergovernmental Relations and the Census, House Committee on Government Reform, March 30 (2004), http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04628t.pdf
- 4.e-scada.com (2002), http://hwww.e-scada.com/why.html (viewed on October 15, 2005)
- 5.Bentek Systems (n.d.), Internet and Web-based SCADA, http://www.scadalink.com/technotesIP.htm (viewed on October 15, 2005)
- 6.Quinn-Judge, P.: Cracks in the system. TIME Magazine (January 9, 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Reed, T.: At the Abyss: An Insider’s History of the Cold War. Presidio Press (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Balitanas, M., Robles, R.J., Kim, N., Kim, T.: Crossed Crypto-scheme in WPA PSK Mode. In: BLISS 2009. IEEE CS, Edinburgh (2009) ISBN 978-0-7695-3754-5Google Scholar
- 9.Roberts, P.: Zotob, PnP Worms Slam 13 DaimlerChrysler Plants, eweek.com, August 18 (2005), http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Zotob-PnP-Worms-Slam-13-DaimlerChrysler-Plants/
- 10.Stallings, W.: Cryptography and Network Security, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle RiverGoogle Scholar
- 12.e-scada.com (2002), http://www.e-scada.com/why.html (viewed on October 15, 2005)