Securing Communication between SCADA Master Station and Mobile Remote Components
Conventional SCADA communications has been fixed Point-to-Multipoint serial communications over lease line or private radio systems. Mobility of Remote Components can widen the coverage and can make SCADA more powerful and more efficient. Instead of a steady sensor which can only gather limited information, the mobile sensor can cover larger space and gather more specific information. In this paper, we discussed the architecture of a traditional SCADA system, its evolution, the web SCADA and presented a new setup which utilizes remote components. We also suggested the use of Symmetric-Key Encryption to secure the communication between these components.
KeywordsSCADA Control Systems Communication Encryption Security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reed, T.: At the Abyss: An Insider’s History of the Cold War. Presidio Press (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Kim, T.-h.: Weather Condition Double Checking in Internet SCADA Environment. WSEAS Transactions on Systems and Control 5(8), 623 (2010) ISSN: 1991-8763Google Scholar
- 3.Bailey, D., Wright, E.: Practical SCADA for Industry (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Hildick-Smith, A.: Security for Critical Infrastructure SCADA Systems (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Robles, R.J., Seo, K.-T., Kim, T.-h.: Security solution for internet SCADA. In: Korean Institute of Information Technology, IT Convergence Technology - Summer Workshops and Conference Proceedings, vol. 5, pp. 461–463 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Wallace, D.: Control Engineering. How to put SCADA on the Internet (2003), http://www.controleng.com/article/CA321065.html (accessed: January 2010)
- 7.McClanahan, R.H.: SCADA AND IP: Is Network Convergence Really Here? IEEE Industry Applications Magazine (March/April 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Choi, M.-k., Robles, R.J., Cho, E.-s., Park, B.-j., Kim, S.-s., Park, G.-c., Kim, T.-h.: A Proposed Architecture for SCADA System with Mobile Sensors. Journal of Korean Institute of Information Technology 8(5), 13–20 (2010) ISSN: 1598-8619Google Scholar
- 9.Kim, T.-h.: SCADA Architecture with Mobile Remote Components. WSEAS Transactions on Systems and Control 5(8) (August 2010) ISSN: 1991-8763Google Scholar
- 10.Robles, R.J., Choi, M.-K.: Symmetric-Key Encryption for Wireless Internet SCADA. In: Security Technology. CCIS, vol. 58, pp. 289–297 (1865) ISSN: 1865-0929Google Scholar