Mapping Audiovisual Metadata Formats Using Formal Semantics
Audiovisual archives hold enormous amounts of valuable content. However, many of these archives are difficult to access, as their holdings are documented using a range of different metadata formats. Being able to exchange metadata is the key to ensuring access to these collections and to establish interoperability among audiovisual collections, between audiovisual collections and other cultural heritage institutions as well as portals such as Europeana. In this work we attempt to model mappings between metadata formats based on a high-level intermediate concept representation in order to avoid hand-crafted one-to-one mappings between metadata formats. In addition, we define mapping templates on data type level, from which the code for mapping instructions between a pair of formats can be derived. The high-level intermediate concept representation is based on the existing meon ontology and the resulting mapping instructions are expressed using XSLT. As a proof of concept, mappings between two metadata formats are formalized and integrated in a web based prototype application.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clark, J., DeRose, S. (eds.): XML Path Language (XPath) Version 1.0. W3C Recommendation (1999), http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath/
- 2.Cruz, I., Xiao, H., Hsu, F.: An Ontology-Based Framework for XML Semantic Integration. In: International Database Engineering and Applications Symposium, Coimbra, Portugal, pp. 217–226 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Dean, M., Schreiber, G.: OWL Web Ontology Language: Reference. W3C Recommendation, February 10 (2004), http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/
- 4.Döller, M., Stegmaier, F., Kosch, H., Tous, R., Delgado, J.: Standardized Interoperable Image Retrieval. In: ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC), Track on Advances in Spatial and Image-based Information Systems, ASIIS (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Kay, M. (ed.): XSL Transformations (XSLT) Version 2.0. W3C Recommendation (2007), http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/
- 7.ETSI. ETSI TS 102 822-3-1 V1.5.1: Broadcast and On-line Services: Search, select, and rightful use of content on personal storage systems (”TV-Anytime”) - Part 3: Metadata (May 2009), http://www.etsi.org
- 8.Höffernig, M., Bailer, W.: Formal Metadata Semantics for Interoperability in the Audiovisual Media Production Process. In: Workshop on Semantic Multimedia Database Technologies (SeMuDaTe 2009), Co-located with the 4th International Conference on Semantic and Digital Media Technologies (SAMT 2009). CEUR-WS, vol. 539 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Kondylakis, H., Doerr, M., Plexousakis, D.: Mapping language for information integration. Technical Report TR385, Institute of Computer Science, FORTH-ICS (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.MPEG-7. Multimedia Content Description Interface. ISO/IEC 15938 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Xing, G., Xia, Z., Ernest, A.: Building automatic mapping between XML documents using approximate tree matching. In: ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC), Seoul, Korea, pp. 525–526 (2007)Google Scholar