SSCP: Mining Statistically Significant Co-location Patterns
Co-location pattern discovery searches for subsets of spatial features whose instances are often located at close spatial proximity. Current algorithms using user specified thresholds for prevalence measures may report co-locations even if the features are randomly distributed. In our model, we look for subsets of spatial features which are co-located due to some form of spatial dependency but not by chance. We first introduce a new definition of co-location patterns based on a statistical test. Then we propose an algorithm for finding such co-location patterns where we adopt two strategies to reduce computational cost compared to a naïve approach based on simulations of the data distribution. We propose a pruning strategy for computing the prevalence measures. We also show that instead of generating all instances of an auto-correlated feature during a simulation, we could generate a reduced number of instances for the prevalence measure computation. We evaluate our algorithm empirically using synthetic and real data and compare our findings with the results found in a state-of-the-art co-location mining algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, R., Srikant, R.: Fast Algorithms for Mining Association Rules in Large Databases. In: Proc. VLDB, pp. 487–499 (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Celik, M., Shekhar, S., Rogers, J.P., Shine, J.A.: Mixed-Drove Spatiotemporal Co-occurence Pattern Mining. IEEE TKDE 20(10), 1322–1335 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Harkness, R.D., Isham, V.: A Bivariate Spatial Point Pattern of Ants’ Nests. J. of the Royal Statist. Society, Series C (Appl. Statist.) 32(3), 293–303 (1983)Google Scholar
- 6.Huang, Y., Shekhar, S., Xiong, H.: Discovering Colocation Patterns from Spatial Data Sets: A General Approach. IEEE TKDE 16(12), 1472–1485 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Mane, S., Murray, C., Shekhar, S., Srivastava, J., Pusey, A.: Spatial Clustering of Chimpanzee Locations for Neighborhood Identification. In: Proc. ICDM, pp. 737–740 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Morimoto, Y.: Mining Frequent Neighboring Class Sets in Spatial Databases. In: Proc. SIGKDD, pp. 353–358 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Xiao, X., Xie, X., Luo, Q., Ma, W.Y.: Density Based Co-location Pattern Discovery. In: Proc. GIS, pp. 250–259 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Yoo, J.S., Shekhar, S.: A Partial Join Approach for Mining Co-location Patterns. In: Proc. GIS, pp. 241–249 (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Yoo, J.S., Shekhar, S.: A Joinless Approach for Mining Spatial Colocation Patterns. IEEE TKDE 18(10), 1323–1337 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Yoo, J.S., Shekhar, S., Kim, S., Celik, M.: Discovery of Co-evolving Spatial Event Sets. In: Proc. SDM, pp. 306–315 (2006)Google Scholar