An Intelligent Routing Protocol for Delay Tolerant Networks Using Genetic Algorithm
Due to the dynamic topology of vehicular ad hoc networks, routing of packets in these networks faces a lot of difficulties. The situation will become more challenging when we have to deal with Delay Tolerant Networks (DTN) which are also sparse and partitioned and we need to use some vehicles to store the packets and carry them from one partition to another. Despite all these difficulties, by looking through movements of vehicles in an urban environment, we can find out that the topology of the network does not change in a pure random way and we can bring the traffic models of streets into account for having better routing performance. In this paper we proposed an intelligent routing protocol for delay tolerant networks using genetic algorithm as the learning method for choosing the best vehicle to carry the packets from one partition to another.
KeywordsDelay Tolerant Networks Routing Protocol VANET Learning Genetic Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cheng, P., Lee, K., Gerla, M., Harri, L.: GeoDTN+Nav, A Hybrid Geographic and DTN Routing with Navigation Assistant in Urban Vehicular Networks. In: ICVCS (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Lee, K., Cheng, P., Weng, J., Tung, L., Gerla, M.: VCLCR, A Practical Geographic Routing Protocol in Urban Scenarios. In: Technical Report 080009, UCLA (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Leontiadis, I., Mascolo, C.: GeOpps, Geographical Opportunistic Routing For Vehicular Networks. In: World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Lochert, C., Mauve, M., Fussler, H., Hartenstein, H.: Geographic Routing in City Scenarios. SIGMOBILE Mob. Comput. Commun. Rev. (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, K., Lee, U., Gerla, M.: Survey of Routing Protocols in Vehicular Ad hoc Networks. IGI Global (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Bernsen, J., Manivannan, D.: Unicast Routing Protocols for Vehicular Ad hoc Networks, A Critical Comparison and Classification. Pervasive and Mobile Computing (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Karp, B., Kung, H.: GPSR, Greedy Perimeter Stateless Routing for Wireless Networks. Mobile Computing and Networking, 243–254 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Matousec, R.: Genetic Algorithm and Advanced Tournament Selection Concept. In: NICSO (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.LeBurn, J., Chuah, C., Ghosal, D., Zhang, M.: Knowledge Based Opportunistic Forwarding in Vehicular Wireless Ad hoc Networks. In: Vehicular Technology Conference. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar