An Optimized Reduced Energy Consumption (OREC) Algorithm for Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks
Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) is constrained by limited available energy for data communication. Utilization of energy and enhancing network lifetime is a challenging task for the next generation wireless sensor network. In this paper we have designed an algorithm that performs the routing with low energy consumption. We have experimentally optimized the number of clusters that should be formed for escalating the lifetime of the network with provisions made to include equal number of nodes in each cluster. Our analysis and simulation results show that with realistic radio model we have achieved better load balance than several existing protocols, like LBEERA, HDS, SHORT, PEGASIS, LEACH and BINARY. A suitable node deployment strategy was adopted for ensuring wireless connectivity between each node. Moreover we have made simulations in NS-2 which supports our propositions to a greater extend.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network Network Lifetime Realistic Radio Model node deployment NS-2
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clare, Pottie, Agre: Self-Organizing Distributed Sensor Networks. In: SPIE Conference on Unattended Ground Sensor Technologies and Applications, pp. 229–237 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Lindsey, S., Raghavendra, C.S.: PEGASIS: Power Efficient Gathering in Sensor Information Systems. In: Proceedings of IEEE ICC 2001, pp. 1125–1130 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Yang, Y., Wu, H.H., Chen, H.H.: SHORT: Shortest Hop Routing Tree for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE ICC 2006 Proceedings (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Lindsey, S., Raghavendra, C.S., Sivalingam, K.: Data Gathering in Sensor Networks using energy*delay metric. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, pp. 188–200 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Heinzelman, W., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy- Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks. In: IEEE Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Yu1, Y., Wei, G.: Energy Aware Routing Algorithm Based on Layered Chain in Wireless Sensor Network, 1-4244-1312-5/07/$25.00 © 2007. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Mitra, S.K., Banerjee, J., Chakraborty, A., Naskar, M.K.: Data Gathering in Wireless Sensor Network using Realistic Power Control. In: Proceedings ICCCS 2011 (2011) (published by ACM)Google Scholar
- 10.Mallinson, M., Drane, P., Hussain, S.: Discrete radio power level consumption model in wireless sensor networks. In: Second International Workshop on Information Fusion and Dissemination in Wireless Sensor Networks, Sensor Fusion (2007)Google Scholar