The Optimal Wavelet for Speech Compression
The main idea of speech compression is to reduce the bite rate of the speech for communication or storage without significant loss of quality. There are mainly three functional categories of speech processing methods in use. The new technique called wavelet transform is being used for speech signal analysis and synthesis. The major issues regarding the design of real time wavelet based speech coder are choosing optimal wavelets for the compression, and selecting suitable frame size etc. The performance of the different wavelets families on speech compression is evaluated and compared based on different parameters. Male and female speech is used for the comparison and analysis.
KeywordsSpeech Compression Wavelet family Discrete Wavelet Isolated Malayalam Spoken words
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kondoz, A.M.: Digital Speech, 2nd edn. John Wiley& Sons Ltd., West Sussex. ISBN 0-470-87007 9(HB)Google Scholar
- 2.Sayood, K.: Introduction to Data compression Book, 2nd edn. Elsevier, Amsterdam. ISBN 1 55860-558-4 Google Scholar
- 3.Karam, J.: A new approach in Wavelet based Speech Compression Mathematical Methods, Computational Techniques, Non Linear Systems Intelligent Systems. ISBN 978-960-474-012-3Google Scholar
- 4.Soman, K.P., Ramachandran, K.: In Sight into Wavelets from Theory to Practice. In: PHI, 2nd edn. (2008) ISBN 978-81-203-2902-7Google Scholar
- 5.Joseph, S.M., Sebatian, R., Babu Anto, P.: The effect of different wavelets on speech compression. In: ACM Proceedings of the 2011 International Conference on Communication, Computing & Security (2011) ISBN: 978-1-4503-0464-1Google Scholar
- 7.Daubechies: Ten Lecturers on wavelets. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Abdul Mawala, M.A., Ram, N.A.R.: Comparing Speech Compression using Wavelets with Other Speech Compression Schemes. In: Proceedings of Student Conference on Research and Development, Putrajaya, Malayia (2003)Google Scholar