Transmitter Preprocessing Assisted MIMO SDMA Systems over Frequency-Selective Channels
This paper investigates the performance of multi-user transmitter preprocessing (MUTP) based on singular value decomposition (SVD) technique for multiple input multiple output (MIMO) aided space division multiple access (SDMA) system over correlated and uncorrelated frequency-selective channels with two power allocation regimes, namely ‘water-filling’ and equal power for downlink (DL) communications. Specifically, we study the effects of delay spread distribution of vehicular channel model pertaining to Long Term Evolution (LTE). In multi-user MIMO downlink (DL) communications, users conflict multi-user interference (MUI) as well as multi-stream interference (MSI) which can severely degrade the achievable performance. It is demonstrated with the aid of simulation results that MUTP can yield better achievable bit error rate (BER) by mitigating MUI and MSI and can also obviate the need for employing complex multiuser detectors (MUDs) at the mobile stations (MSs). Further, our simulation study shows that invoking the ‘water-filling’ based power allocation regime results in better achievable capacity.
KeywordsMultiple input multiple output (MIMO) preprocessing post processing multi-user transmitter preprocessing (MUTP) singular value decomposition (SVD) multi-user interference (MUI) multi-stream interference (MSI)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Fischer, H.R., Windpassinger, C., Lampe, A., Huber, J.: MIMO precoding for decentralized receivers. In: Proc. IEEE ISIT 2002, p. 496 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Shamai, S., Zaidel, B.M.: Enhancing the cellular downlink capacity via co-processing at the transmitting end. In: IEEE VTS 53rd Vehicular Technology Conference, Spring, Rhodes, Greece, pp. 1745–1749, 6–9 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Kusume, K., Joham, M., Utschick, W., Bauch, G.: Efficient Tomlinson-Harashima Precoding for spatial multiplexing on flat MIMO channel. In: Proc. IEEE ICC 2005, vol. 3, pp. 2021–2025 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Yang, L.-L.: A Zero-Forcing Multi-user Transmitter Preprocessing Scheme for Downlink Communications. IEEE Trans. Commun. 56(6) (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, W., Yang, L.L., Hanzo, L.: SVD Assisted Joint Transmitter and Receiver Design for the Downlink of MIMO Systems. In: IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Spring (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.3GPP (TR 36.803), Evolved universal terrestrial radio access (E-UTRA); user equipment (UE) radio transmission and reception (Release 8). Technical Specification, Sophia Antipolis, France (2007)Google Scholar