Image Processing Techniques for Glaucoma Detection
Glaucoma is a disease caused due to neurodegeneration of the optic nerve which leads to blindness. It can be evaluated by monitoring intra ocular pressure (IOP), visual field and the optic disc appearance (cup-to-disc ratio). Glaucoma increases the cup to disc ratio (CDR), affecting the peripheral vision loss. This paper addresses the various image processing techniques to diagnose the glaucoma based on the CDR evaluation of preprocessed fundus images. These algorithms are tested on publicly available fundus images and the results are compared. The accuracy of these algorithms is evaluated by sensitivity and specificity. The sensitivity and specificity for these algorithms are found to be very favorable.
KeywordsGlaucoma risk index cup to disc ratio multi-thresholding active contours region growing segmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Ghafar, R.A.A., Morris, T., Ritchings, T., Wood, I.: Detection and characterization of the optic disc in glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy. In: Medical Image Understand Annual Conference, London, UK, pp. 23–24 (September 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Banerjee, B., Bhattacharjee, T., Chowdhury, N.: Color Image Segmentation Technique Using Natural Grouping of Pixels. International Journal of Image Processing (IJIP) 4(4), 320–328 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Rangayyan, R.M., Zhu, X., Ells, A.L.: Detection of the optic nerve head in fundus images of the retina using the Hough transform for circles. Journal of Digital Imaging, 132–140 (February 2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Salvatelli, A., Bizai, G., Barbosa, G., Drozdowicz, B., Delrieux, C.: A comparative analysis of pre-processing techniques in color retinal Images. In: 16th Argentine Bioengineering Congress and the 5th Conference of Clinical Engineering. IOP Publishing Journal of Physics: Conference series, vol. 90 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Vanajakshi, B., Sujatha, B., Srirama, K.: A Study on Implementation of Advanced Morphological Operations. IJCSNS International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security 10(3), 6–9 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.http://www.optic-disc.org/tutorials/glaucoma evaluation basics/page13.html
- 16.Criminisi, A., Pérez, P., Toyama, K.: Region Filling and Object Removal by Exemplar-Based Image Inpainting. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 13(9) (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Bertalmio, M., Sapiro, G., Caselles, V., Ballester, C.: Image inpainting. In: Proceedings of the 27th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, SIGGRAPH, New Orleans, USA, pp. 417–424 (2000)Google Scholar
- 20.Chan, T.F., Vese, L.A.: Active Contours Without Edges. IEEE Transaction on Image Processing 10(2) (February 2001)Google Scholar