An In-Depth Analysis of the Epitome of Online Stealth: Keyloggers; and Their Countermeasures
Malware came into existence ever since the inception of the computers itself and its spread has been gaining momentum as a result of persistent success and evolution of the Internet. Cyber world has been noticing a shift in the goals of malware writers, which would only become more insidious with time. Currently the matter of great concern for Internet users is that of online stealth. In this paper we discuss in detail about the epitome of online stealth, the keyloggers; present an analysis of few well known anti-keyloggers; list a set of counter-measures for the users based on our analysis; and also present our approach for client side authentication to reduce the attack surface available to the hackers.
Keywordskeylogger password stealing rootkits malware
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Keyloggers, Increasing Threat to Computer Security. IEEE Technology And Society Magazine, Fall (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Ries, C.: Inside Windows Rootkits. VigilantMinds Inc. (May 2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Trend Micro Threat Encyclopedia | Latest information on malware, spam, malicious URLs, vulnerabilities, http://about-threats.trendmicro.com/threatencyclopedia.aspx?language=us&tab=malware
- 4.Hackers infected thousands of PCs with Zeus trojan to steal millions, http://news.techworld.com/security/3241594/police-arrest-gang-behind-20-million-online-bank-fraud/
- 5.Keyloggers: How they work and how to detect them - Securelist, http://www.securelist.com/en/analysis/204791931/Keyloggers_How_they_work_and_how_to_detect_them_Part_1
- 6.VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner, http://www.virustotal.com
- 7.QFX Software - Anti-Keylogging Software, http://www.qfxsoftware.com/
- 8.Anti Keylogger Shield, http://amictools.com/v-anti_keylogger_shield.html
- 9.GuardedID® – Next Generation Security, Anti Keylogger to Protect against Keylogger attacks, Identity Theft, and Clickjacking, http://www.guardedid.com/demo.aspx
- 10.Meyer, R.: Secure Authentication on the internet. SANS Institute (2007)Google Scholar