Palmprint Authentication by Phase Congruency Features
The abstract should summarize the contents of the paper and should Palmprint recognition is an effective biometric authentication method to automatically identify a person’s identity. In this paper, phase congruency method is proposed to extract features from a palm-print image for authentication. The phase congruency is one of the promising methods to analyze the image as it is invariant to image contrast and therefore can extract reliable features under varying illumination conditions. The hand image is pre-processed to get the desired Region of Interest (ROI) / palmprint. The palmprint features are extracted by phase congruency method and are stored in feature vector. Euclidean Distance similarity measurement method is used to compare the similarity/dissimilarity between two feature vectors. Experiments were developed on a database of 600 images from 100 individuals, with five image samples per individual for training and one image sample per individual for testing.
KeywordsPalmprint Palmprint Authentication Phase Congruency Euclidean distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.PavesÎć, N., Ribarić, S., Ribarić, D.: Personal authentication using hand-geometry and palmprint features – the state of the art. In: Proc. Workshop: Biometrics – Challenges Arising from Theory to Practice, Cambridge, pp. 17–26 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Kumar, Zhang, D.: Combining fingerprint, palmprint and handshape for user authentication. In: Proceedings of ICPR, vol. 4, pp. 549–552Google Scholar
- 7.Wu, X.Q., Wang, K.Q., Zhang, D.: Wavelet based palmprint recognition. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Beijing, pp. 1253–1257 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Wu, X.Q., Wang, K.Q., Zhang, D.: Palmprint Recognition using Directional Line Energy feature. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, ICPR 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Marr, D., Hildreth, E.C.: Theory of edge detection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 207, 187–217 (1980)Google Scholar
- 18.Canny, J.F.: A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 8(6), 112–131 (1986)Google Scholar
- 19.Kovesi, P.: Image features from phase congruency. Videre J. Comput. Vis. Res. 1(3), 1–26 (1999)Google Scholar
- 20.Punsawad, Y., Wongsawat, Y.: Palmprint Image Enhancement Using Phase Congruency. In: Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biometrics, Bangkok, Thailand, February 21-26 (2009)Google Scholar
- 22.The PolyU Palmprint Database, http://www4.comp.polyu.edu.hk/biometrics/
- 23.Wong, K.Y.E., Sainarayanan, G., Chekima, A.: Palmprint Identification Using SobelCode. In: Malaysia-Japan International Symposium on Advanced Technology 2007, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2007)Google Scholar