Energy Efficient Routing Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks Using Spatial Correlation Based Collaborative Medium Access Control
- 1.3k Downloads
Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) are wireless networks consisting of a group of small, inexpensive nodes, which collect and disseminate significant data. Nodes in a wireless Sensor Networks have various energy and computational constraints due to their inexpensive, random method of deployment. Wireless sensor networks are utilized in a wide range of applications including battlefield surveillance, smart home environments, habitat exploration of animals and vehicle tracking. Energy efficiency is one critical issue for sensor networks because many sensors are equipped with batteries that have limited life time. In this paper, comparison of energy efficient routing protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks using spatial correlation based collaborative medium access control is proposed. A model for WSN is proposed using spatial correlation based collaborative medium access control (CC-MAC) with AODV and DSR and DSDV. Simulation results have been obtained by using Ns2. From the results, the performance of AODV is better compared to the other two protocols such as DSR and DSDV.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network (WSN) Spatial Correlation Medium Access Control (MAC) Correlation based Collaborative Medium Access Control (CC-MAC) Adhoc On Demand Distance Vector Routing (AODV) Dynamic Source Routing (DSR) Destination Sequenced Distance Vector (DSDV)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mehmet, C., Vuran, I.F., Akyildiz: Spatial Correlation – Based Collaborative Medium Access Control in Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE / ACM Transaction on Networking 14(2) (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Zheng, G., Tang, S.: Spatial Correlation Based MAC Protocol for Event - Driven Wireless Sensor Networks. Journal of Networks 6(1) (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Demirkol, I., Ersoy, C., Alagoz, F.: MAC Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks: A survey. IEEE Communication Magazine (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Khaled, A., Arisha, M.A., Youseef, M.F., Younis: Energy Aware TDMA-Based MAC for Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Integrated Management of Power Aware Communications, Computing and Networking, IMPACCT (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Samir, R., Das, C.E., Perkins, E.M., Royer: Performance Comparison of Two On – demand Routing Protocols for Adhoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), Tel Aviv, Israel (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Ghalib A., Shah, Muslim Bozyigit.: Exploiting Energy aware Spatial Correlation in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: 2nd International Workshop on Software for Sensor Networks, Sensor Wave 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Radhika, D., Joshi, P.P., Rege: Energy Aware Routing in Ad Hoc Networks. In: 6th WSEAS International Conference on Circuits, Systems, Electronics, Control & Signal Processing, Cairo, Egypt (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.The Network Simulator—ns-2, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/index.html