An Exploratory Study on the Trend of Smartphone Usage in a Developing Country
The purpose of this study is to better understand the current dynamics of the Malaysian market for mobile content and applications. This paper presents the result of a survey on the trend of smartphone from the perspective of end consumers. The data was collected from 1814 respondents across major cities in Malaysia. This study has looked into the familiarity of users towards smartphones, choices of smartphone brand and service providers, and most importantly the determinants that influence their purchasing decision. Additionally, the consumers’ preferences on smartphone specifications such as design, computing power, operating platform, and price are investigated. The statistics presented is to provide fundamental information regarding the status and trends in the smartphone market in Malaysia. Such information is useful for academics to the development of future works in the field, and for smartphone manufacturers, application developers and other stakeholders to plan their direction in the Malaysian smartphone market.
KeywordsMobile phone Smartphone Market survey Consumers study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.International Telecommunication Union, http://www.itu.int/ITUD/ict/statistics/ict/index.html
- 2.M.C.a.M. (ed.): Featuring the Handphone Users Survey In: Commission, Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, Cyberjaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Kothari, C.R.: Research Methodology: Methods and Techniques. New Age International Publishers, New Delhi (2002) Google Scholar
- 8.Wilska, T.-A.: Mobile Phone Use as Part of Young People’s Consumption Styles. Journal of Consumer Policy 26, 441-463 (2003) Google Scholar
- 9.Comber, C., Colley, A., Hargreaves, D.J., Dorn, L.: The effects of age, gender and computer experience upon computer attitudes. Educational Research 39, 123 - 133 (1997) Google Scholar