The Effect of Private Valuation on E-Auction Revenues
In recent years, Internet auctions have become increasingly widespread. The Independent Private Values (IPV) model is widely used in the studying of auction behaviour and plays a fundamental role in many analyses of Internet auction performance. This model assumes privacy and independence, meaning that the private values of buyers are drawn from a common distribution, or in probabilistic terms, the series of values are independent and identically distributed. Since a general stochastic analysis is intractable, the IPV model has a significant impact on auction behaviour. In this paper, we study auction performance using an auction process simulator, considering both the hard close and soft close types of Internet auctions. From our experimental findings, we are able to establish quantitative relationships between the different auction process parameters, and also to deploy suitable IPV distributions in modelling the characteristics of different communities of bidders.
KeywordsOnline Auctions Internet Auctions Auction Income Auction Duration Hard Close Soft Close
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cowell, F.: Microeconomics: Principles and Analysis. Oxford University Press, Oxford (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Krishna, V.: Auction Theory (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Russo, R., Shyamalkumar, N., Shmueli, G.: Models of bidder activity consistent with self-similar bid arrivals. Statistical Methods in E-Commerce Research, 325 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Ockenfels, A., Roth, A.: The timing of bids in internet auctions: Market design, bidder behavior, and artificial agents. AI Magazine 23(3), 79 (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Wenyan, H., Bolivar, A.: Online Auctions Efficiency: A Survey of eBay Auctions. In: Proceedings of WWW 2008 Conference, Beijing, China, pp. 925–933 (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Friedman, D.: The double auction market institution: A survey. The Double Auction Market: Institutions, Theories, and Evidence, 3–25 (1993)Google Scholar
- 19.Dass, M., Reddy, S.: An analysis of price dynamics, bidder networks and market structure in online auctions. In: Jank, W., Shmueli, G. (eds.) Statistical Methods in eCommerce Research (2008)Google Scholar
- 22.Jank, W., Shmueli, G., Wang, S.: Forecasting Online Auctions using Dynamic Models. In: Workshop on Data Mining for Business Applications, Citeseer, p. 1 (2006)Google Scholar