Histogram and Other Aggregate Queries in Wireless Sensor Networks
Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) are typically used to collect values of some phenomena in a monitored area. In many applications, users are interested in statistical summaries of the observed data, e.g., histograms reflecting the distribution of the collected values. In this paper we propose two main contributions: (1) an efficient algorithm for answering Histogram queries in a WSN, and (2) how to efficiently use the obtained histogram to also process other types of aggregate queries. Our experimental results show that our proposed solutions are able to substantially extend the lifespan of the WSN.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ammar, K., Nascimento, M.A.: Histogram and other aggregate queries in wireless sensor networks. Technical Report TR 11-03, Department of Computing Science, University of Alberta (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Chow, C.Y., Mokbel, M.F., He, T.: Aggregate location monitoring for wireless sensor networks: A histogram-based approach. In: Proc. of MDM, pp. 82–91 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Madden, S., Franklin, M.J., Hellerstein, J.M., Hong, W.: Tag: a tiny aggregation service for ad-hoc sensor networks. SIGOPS Oper. Syst. Rev. 36(SI), 131–146 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Madden, S., Franklin, M.J., Hellerstein, J.M., Hong, W.: The design of an acquisitional query processor for sensor networks. In: Proc. of ACM SIGMOD, pp. 491–502 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Pinedo-Frausto, E.D., Garcia-Macias, J.A.: An experimental analysis of zigbee networks. In: Proc. of LCN, pp. 723–729 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Ying, B., Liu, W., Liu, Y., Yang, H., Wang, H.: Energy-efficient node-level compression arbitration for wireless sensor networks. In: Proc. of the ICACT, pp. 564–568 (2009)Google Scholar