Assessment of Distribution Coefficients (Кd) of Radionuclides of the Uranium-Thorium Chain in the Uranium Manufacturing Tailing Dumps
One of the problems related to maintaining the ecologically safe state of tailing dumps of uranium manufacturing is the radionuclides migration from the dumps with groundwaters. A convenient way for evaluation of this process is application of the semiquantitative models of sorption interaction, which are based on utilization of distribution coefficient (Кd) describing the radionuclides concentrations in solid phase and soil solution after reaching the equilibrium state in the system. Aim of this study was the experimental assessment of the radionuclides Кd in five tailing dumps of Prydniprovsky Chemical Plant (PCP).
KeywordsDistribution Coefficient Mobile Form Radionuclide Concentration Radionuclide Migration Charge Mixture
- ASTM Designation: D 4646-03 (2004) Standard test method for 24-h batch-type measurement of contaminant sorption by soils and sedimentsGoogle Scholar
- EPA 402-R-99-004 A (1999) Understanding variation in partition coefficient, Kd, values. Volume 1: The Kd model, methods of measurement, and application of geochemical reaction codesGoogle Scholar
- http://gems.web.psi.ch/overview.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Investigation and development of the RAW storage technology at the SE Barrier (2001) Analysis of safety of maintaining activities for storage of RAW. Tailing dump Western. Book #1. Evaluation of conditions of storage of RAWGoogle Scholar
- Karpov IK, Chudnenko KV, Kulik DA, Avchenko OV, Bychinski VA (2001) Minimization of Gibbs free energy in geochemical systems by convex programing. Geochemistry Int 39: 1108–1119Google Scholar