Treatment Approaches for Dry AMD
The overall goal of treating dry AMD is to target the underlying cause of the disease and prevent, or at least slow, the loss of vision, which requires the preservation of the choroid, RPE, and photoreceptors.
KeywordsGlatiramer Acetate Geographic Atrophy Complement Inhibition Fluocinolone Acetonide Choroidal Blood Flow
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 4.Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group (2001) A randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of high-dose supplementation with vitamins C and E, beta carotene, and zinc for age-related macular degeneration and vision loss: AREDS report no. 8. Arch Ophthalmol 119(10):1417–1436CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Parodi MB, Virgili G, Evans JR (2009) Laser treatment of drusen to prevent progression to advanced age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009 Jul 8;(3):CD006537Google Scholar
- 12.Ralston PG Jr, Sloan D, Waters-Honcu D et al (2010) A Pilot, open-label study of the safety of MC-1101 in both normal volunteers and patients with early nonexudative age-related macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:E-Abstract 913Google Scholar
- 16.Williams GA, Tao W (2009) A phase II study of encapsulated CNTF secreting cell implant (NT-501) in patients with visual acuity impairment associated with atrophic macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:E-Abstract 5003Google Scholar
- 21.Kubota R, Birch D, David R (2009) Phase 1, dose-escalating study of the safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics of ACU-4429 in healthy volunteers. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:E-Abstract 5009Google Scholar
- 27.Sternberg P, Rosenfeld PJ, Slakter JS et al (2010) Topical OT-551 for treating geographic atrophy: Phase II results. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:E-Abstract 6416Google Scholar
- 28.Wong WT, Kam W, Cunningham D et al (2010) Topical administration of anti-oxidant, OT-551 for the treatment of geographic atrophy: results of a phase I/II clinical trial. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:E-Abstract 6418Google Scholar
- 36.Holers VM et al (2009) TT30, a novel human protein therapeutic, selectively modulates the complement alternative pathway by targeted supplementation of local factor H activity. In: 51st Annual Meeting of the American Society of Hematology New OrleansGoogle Scholar
- 37.Risitano AM et al (2009) TT30, a novel regulator of the complement alternative pathway (CAP), inhibits hemolysis of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) erythrocytes and prevents upstream C3 binding on their surface in an in vitro model. In: 51st Annual Meeting of the American Society of Hematology New OrleansGoogle Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013