A Probability Density Function for Energy-Balanced Lifetime-Enhancing Node Deployment in WSN
Energy is one of the scarcest resources in wireless sensor network (WSN). So the issue of preserving energy requires utmost attention. There are many ways to conserve energy in such a network. One primary way of conserving energy is judicious deployment of sensor nodes within the network area so that the energy flow remains balanced throughout the network. This prevents the problem of occurrence of ‘energy holes’ and ensures prolonged network lifetime. This work first proposes a probability density function (PDF) and derives its intrinsic characteristics. We have shown the PDF’s suitability to model the network architecture considered for the work. Next a node deployment algorithm is developed based on this PDF. Further, we have identified necessary constraints involving different network parameters for ensuring energy balance of the entire network. Performance of the deployment scheme is evaluated in terms of energy balance and network lifetime. Finally the scheme is compared with two existing deployment schemes. Simulation results confirm our scheme’s supremacy over the two existing schemes in terms of all the two performance metrics.
KeywordsProbability density function Coverage Connectivity Energy balance Network lifetime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Ganesan, D., Cristescu, R., Lozano, B.B.: Power-Efficient Sensor Placement and Transmission Structure for Data Gathering under Distortion Constraints. In: Proceedings of IPSN, pp. 142–150 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Wu, X., Chen, G., Das, S.K.: On the Energy Hole Problem of Nonuniform Node Distribution in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE MASS, pp. 180–187 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Chang, C.Y., Shih, K.P., Chang, H.R., Liu, H.J.: Energy-Balanced Deployment and Topology Control for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM, pp. 1–5 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Olariu, S., Stojmenovic, I.: Design Guidelines for Maximizing Lifetime and Avoiding Energy Holes in Sensor Networks with Uniform Distribution and Uniform Reporting. In: Proceeding of IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 1–12 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Karp, B., Kung, H.T.: GPSR: Greedy Perimeter Stateless Routing for Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of ACM MOBICOM, pp. 243–254 (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Liu, B., Towsley, D.: A Study of the Coverage of Large-scale Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE MASS, pp. 475–483 (2004)Google Scholar