Modeling Engagement Dynamics in Spelling Learning
In this paper, we introduce a model of engagement dynamics in spelling learning. The model relates input behavior to learning, and explains the dynamics of engagement states. By systematically incorporating domain knowledge in the preprocessing of the extracted input behavior, the predictive power of the features is significantly increased. The model structure is the dynamic Bayesian network inferred from student input data: an extensive dataset with more than 150 000 complete inputs recorded through a training software for spelling. By quantitatively relating input behavior and learning, our model enables a prediction of focused and receptive states, as well as of forgetting.
Keywordsengagement modeling feature processing domain knowledge dynamic Bayesian network learning spelling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Heray, A., Frasson, C.: Predicting Learner Answers Correctness through Brainwaves Assessment and Emotional Dimensions. In: AIED 2009, pp. 49–56 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Johns, J., Woolf, B.: A Dynamic Mixture Model to Detect Student Motivation and Proficiency. In: UMAP 2006, pp. 163–168 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Busetto, A.G., Ong, C.S., Buhmann, J.M.: Optimized Expected Information Gain for Nonlinear Dynamical Systems. In: ICML 2009, pp. 97–104 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Arroyo, I., Woolf, B.: Inferring Learning and Attitudes from a Bayesian Network of Log File Data. In: AIED 2005, pp. 33–40 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Kort, B., Reilly, R., Picard, R.W.: An Affective Model of Interplay Between Emotions and Learning: Reengineering Educational Pedagogy - Building a Learning Companion. Advanced Learning Technologies, 43–46 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Kast, M., Meyer, M., Vögeli, C., Gross, M., Jäncke, L.: Computer-based Multisensory Learning in Children with Developmental Dyslexia. Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience 25(3-4), 355–369 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Baschera, G.M., Gross, M.: Poisson-Based Inference for Perturbation Models in Adaptive Spelling Training. International Journal of AIED 20(1) (2010) (in press)Google Scholar
- 14.Murphy, K.: The Bayes Net Toolbox for Matlab. Computing Science and Statistics 33 (2001)Google Scholar