Towards Predicting Future Transfer of Learning
We present an automated detector that can predict a student’s future performance on a transfer post-test, a post-test involving related but different skills than the skills studied in the tutoring system, within an Intelligent Tutoring System for College Genetics. We show that this detector predicts transfer better than Bayesian Knowledge Tracing, a measure of student learning in intelligent tutors that has been shown to predict performance on paper post-tests of the same skills studied in the intelligent tutor. We also find that this detector only needs limited amounts of student data (the first 20% of a student’s data from a tutor lesson) in order to reach near-asymptotic predictive power.
KeywordsTransfer Bayesian Knowledge Tracing Educational Data Mining Student Modeling Robust Learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Aleven, V., McLaren, B., Roll, I., Koedinger, K.: Toward meta-cognitive tutoring: A model of help seeking with a Cognitive Tutor. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Education 16, 101–128 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Baker, R.S.J.d., Corbett, A.T., Gowda, S.M., Wagner, A.Z., MacLaren, B.M., Kauffman, L.R., Mitchell, A.P., Giguere, S.: Contextual Slip and Prediction of Student Performance After Use of an Intelligent Tutor. In: Proceedings of the 18th Annual Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation, and Personalization, pp. 52–63 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Bransford, J.D., Schwartz, D.: Rethinking transfer: A simple proposal with multiple implications. Review of Research in Education 24, 61–100 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Corbett, A., Bhatnagar, A.: Student Modeling in the ACT Programming Tutor: Adjusting Procedural Learning Model with Declarative Knowledge. In: User Modeling: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference, pp. 243–254 (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Koedinger, K.R., Corbett, A.T., Perfetti, C.: (under review) The Knowledge-Learning-Instruction (KLI) Framework: Toward Bridging the Science-Practice Chasm to Enhance Robust Student Learning (manuscript under review)Google Scholar
- 15.Pavlik, P.I., Anderson, J.R.: Using a Model to Compute the Optimal Schedule of Practice. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied 14(2), 101–117 (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Pavlik, P.I., Cen, H., Koedinger, J.R.: Performance Factors Analysis – A New Alternative to Knowledge Tracing. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education, pp. 531–540 (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Shih, B., Koedinger, K.R., Scheines, R.: A response time model for bottom-out hints as worked examples. In: Proc. 1st Int’l Conf. on Educational Data Mining, pp. 117–126 (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Singley, M.K., Anderson, J.R.: The Transfer of Cognitive Skill. Harvard University Press, Cambridge (1989)Google Scholar