Human-Machine Student Model Discovery and Improvement Using DataShop
We show how data visualization and modeling tools can be used with human input to improve student models. We present strategies for discovering potential flaws in existing student models and use them to identify improvements in a Geometry model. A key discovery was that the student model should distinguish problem steps requiring problem decomposition planning and execution from problem steps requiring just execution of problem decomposition plans. This change to the student model better fits student data not only in the original data set, but also in two other data sets from different sets of students. We also show how such student model changes can be used to modify a tutoring system, not only in terms of the usual student model effects on the tutor’s problem selection, but also in driving the creation of new problems and hint messages.
Keywordsdata mining machine learning cognitive modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Clark, R.E., Feldon, D., van Merriënboer, J., Yates, K., Early, S.: Cognitive task analysis. In: Spector, J., Merrill, M., van Merriënboer, J., Driscoll, M. (eds.) Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology, Mahwah, NJ, pp. 577–593 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Collins, M., Dasgupta, S., Schapire, R.: A generalization of PCA to the exponential family. In: Procs. of the 14th Conf. on Neural Info. Processing Systems, NIPS (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Corbett, A.T., Anderson, J.R.: Knowledge tracing: Modeling the acquisition of Procedural knowledge. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 253–278 (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Heffernan, N., Koedinger, K.: A developmental model for algebra symbolization: The results of a difficulty factors assessment. In: Gernsbacher, M.A., Derry, S.J. (eds.) Procs. of the 20th Annual Conf. of the Cognitive Science Society, Mahwah,NJ, pp. 484–489 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Koedinger, K.R., Baker, R.S.J.d., Cunningham, K., Skogsholm, A., Leber, B., Stamper, J.: A Data Repository for the EDM commuity: The PSLC DataShop. In: Romero, V., Pechenizkiy, B. (eds.) Handbook of Educational Data Mining. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Koedinger, K., McLaughlin, E.: Seeing language learning inside the math: Cognitive analysis yields transfer. In: Procs. of the 32nd Ann. Conf. of the Cogitive Science Society (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, R.L.: Cognitive task analysis: A meta-analysis of comparative studies. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.VanLehn, K.: The behavior of tutoring systems. Intl Jrnl of AIED 16, 227–265 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Villano, M.: Probabilistic student models: Bayesian Belief Networks and Knowledge Space Theory. In: Procs. of the 2nd International Conference on ITS, pp. 491–498. Springer, Heidelberg (1992)Google Scholar