Virtual Office, Community, and Computing (VOCC): Designing an Energy Science Hub Collaboration System
The Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light Water Reactors (CASL ) implements a management strategy that imbues physical collocation; community; collaboration; central leadership; multidisciplinary teams executing a single milestones-driven plan; and integrated, co-dependent projects. The CASL-streamlined management structure includes collocation at CASL, use of technology to achieve multidiscipline collaboration, video conferencing for meetings, and a VOCC project that integrates both the latest and emerging technologies to build an extended “virtual one roof.” CASL is headquartered at ORNL, where the CASL leadership and a majority of the multidisciplinary, multi-institutional scientists and engineers will be located. Work performed at partner sites will be seamlessly integrated across the consortium on a real-time basis via community and computing (VOCC) capability that integrates both the latest and emerging technologies to build an extended “virtual one-roof” allowing multidisciplinary collaboration among CASL staff at all sites. The paper describes the VOCC collaboration system.
KeywordsUser Centered Systems Design Collaboration Collaborative Virtual Environments Collaborative Computing Human Computer Interaction Energy Science Hub
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clancy, W.J.: Situated Cognition: On Human Knowledge and Computer Representations, p. 1. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.IBM. An Agile approach to User Experience and Design, http://www-01.ibm.com/software/ucd/agileuxd.html
- 4.Zhao, Z., Johnson, S., Chen, X., Ren, H., Hsu, D.: Research on a Visual Collaborative Design System: A High Performance Solution Based on Web Service. In: Zhang, W., Tong, W., Chen, Z., Glowinski, R. (eds.) Current Trends in High Performance Computing and Its Applications, pp. 611–615. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Incorporated, A. S. Building toward a unified communication strategy (2009), http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatconnectpro/webconferencing/pdfs/connectpro_unifiedcommwhitepaper_1_09.pdf
- 7.Frost & Sullivan Develops New Metric, the Velocity of Collaboration, to More Accurately Demonstrate the Value of Collaboration Solutions, http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/frost-sullivan-develops-new-metric-the-velocity-of-collaboration-to-more-accurately-demonstrate-the-value-of-collaboration-solutions-102761559.html