Context-Aware Places of Interest Recommendations for Mobile Users
Recommender Systems (RSs) are software tools and techniques providing suggestions for items, such as movies, CDs, or travels, to be of use to a user. In general, a recommendation can be more compelling and useful if the context of the user is known. For instance, in a travel recommender, the season of the travel, or the group composition, or the motivation of the travel are all important contextual factors that, as a traveler normally does, should be taken into account by a system to generate more relevant recommendations. In this paper we show how a context-aware mobile recommender system for places of interest (POIs) selection can generate more effective recommendations than those produced by a non context-aware version, i.e., those normally provided to the city visitors by the local tourist office. Here we mainly focus on the HCI solutions and in particular in the explanation of the recommendations that are perceived by the user as an important element of the graphical interface.
KeywordsRecommender System Mobile User Contextual Condition Contextual Situation Contextual Explanation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ahn, H., Kim, K.-j., Han, I.: Mobile Advertisement Recommender System Using Collaborative Filtering: MAR-CF. Technical Report of The Korea Society of Management Information Systems (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Baltrunas, L.: Context-Aware Collaborative Filtering Recommender Systems. PhD Thesis Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Baltrunas, L., Ricci, F., Ludwig, B.: Context Relevance Assessment for Recommender Systems. In: Proceedings of the 2011 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces. ACM Press, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Bellotti, V., Begole, J.B., Chi, E.H., Ducheneaut, N., Fang, J., Isaacs, E., King, T.H., Newman, M.W., Partridge, K., Price, B., Rasmussen, P., Roberts, M., Schiano, D.J., Walendowski, A.: Activity-Based Serendipitous Recommendations with the Magitti Mobile Leisure Guide. In: Proceedings of the 2008 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2008, pp. 1157–1166. ACM Press, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Peer, S.: Real-Time Context-Aware Recommendations for Mobile Users. Bachelor of Science in Applied Computer Science Thesis. Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Ricci, F.: Mobile recommender systems. Journal of Information Technology and Tourism 12(3) (2011) (in press)Google Scholar
- 14.Swarbrooke, J., Horner, S.: Consumer Behaviour in Tourism, 2nd edn. Butterworth-Heinemann (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.van Setten, M., Pokraev, S., Koolwaaij, J.: Context-Aware Recommendations in the Mobile Tourist Application COMPASS. In: Adapive Hypermedia 2004, pp. 235–244. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar