Designing for Social Commerce Experience as Cultural Consumption
Social commerce websites are facing a challenge of how to use social media effectively in reaching their users in this globalization age. In this paper I look at two successful cases of social commerce websites, TaoBao of China and Etsy of the U.S. and argue that the design of a social commerce website should implement effective local SNS features to connect with and engage its users, mediate their identities, and empower them in this rising participatory culture.
Keywordssocial commerce social shopping culturally localized user experience cultural consumption genre affordance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Forrester Research, US Interactive Marketing Forecast (2009-2014), http://www.forrester.com/rb/Research/us_interactive_marketing_forecast,_2009_to_2014/q/id/47730/t/2
- 2.Grange, C., Benbasat, I.: Online Social Shopping: The Functions and Symbols of Design Artifacts. In: Proceedings of the 43rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Mackay, H. (ed.): Consumption and everyday life. Sage, London (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Paterson, M.: Consumption and everyday life. Routledge, London (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Ray, A.: Social Media Predictions: Now Social Media Marketing Gets Tough (2011), http://blogs.forrester.com/augie_ray/11-01-04-2011_social_media_predictions_now_social_media_marketing_gets_tough
- 9.Storey, J.: Cultural consumption and everyday life. Arnold, London (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Sun, H.: Cross-cultural technology design: Crafting culture-sensitive technology for local users. Oxford University Press, New York (in press)Google Scholar
- 12.Verbeek, P.-P.: What Things Do – Philosophical Reflections on Technology, Agency, and Design (R. P. Crease, Trans.). Penn State UP, University Park (2005) Google Scholar
- 13.Zimmermann, E., Ways to Wealth: Etsy offers way to sell homemade items, but there are rules, http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/feb/26/etsy-offers-a-way-to-sell-homemade-items-but/