Using Metaphors to Explore Cultural Perspectives in Cross-Cultural Design
We have proposed five cultural viewpoint metaphors to help designers that wish to encourage and support cross-cultural HCI contacts. In this paper we present the main results of an experiment carried out to assess the potential of these metaphors in designing cross-cultural systems. Six HCI designers, with different cultural backgrounds, were then asked to create re-design alternatives for a real website guided by the metaphors. As a result, the experiment showed the epistemic effect of the metaphors on cross-cultural design, i. e. as a means to build new knowledge and understanding.
KeywordsCross-cultural design HCI and Culture Conceptual metaphors for HCI design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aykin, N.: Usability and Internationalization of Information Technology. Lawrence Erlbaum, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Cresswell, J.W.: Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches, 3rd edn. SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.de Souza, C.S.: The semiotic engineering of human computer interaction. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.del Galdo, E.M., Nielsen, J.: International Users Interface. John Wiley, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Fernandes, T.: Global Interface Design: a Guide to Designing International User Interfaces. Academic Press, New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Lakoff, G., Johnson, M.: Metaphors We Live By. University of Chicago Press, Chicago (1980)Google Scholar
- 9.Marcus, A.: International and intercultural user interfaces. In: Stephanidis, C. (ed.) User Interfaces for All: Concepts, Methods, and Tools, pp. 47–63. Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Nicolaci-da-Costa, A.M., Leitão, C.F., Romão-Dias, D.: Gerando conhecimento sobre os homens, mulheres e crianças que usam computadores: algumas contribuições da psicologia clínica. In: Symposium on Human Factors in Computers Systems, IHC 2001, Florianópolism Anais SBC, pp. 120–131 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Salgado, L.C.C., de Souza, C.S., Leitão, C.F.: Conceptual Metaphors for Designing Multi-Cultural Applications. In: Proceedings of the 4th Latin American Conference on Human-Computer Interaction. IEEE Publications, Piscataway (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Salgado, L.C.C.: Doctoral Thesis: Cultural Viewpoint Metaphors to explore and communicate cultural perspectives in cross-cultural HCI design. Departamento de Informática, PUC-Rio (to appear)Google Scholar