Design and Development of a CPU Scheduler Simulator for Educational Purposes Using SDL
This paper presents the design and development of a CPU scheduler simulator using SDL. This simulator enables us to study the behavior of one level and multilevel queue scheduling algorithms (including the real-time ones), and to obtain performance statistics for algorithm evaluation. In addition, a multi-platform graphical user interface, based on the Tcl/Tk language, has been developed to simplify the simulator use. The paper also presents our experiences in using SDL for the specification of CPU scheduling algorithms for educational purposes.
KeywordsOperating systems CPU scheduling simulation GUI Tcl/Tk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tcl Developer Xchange, http://www.tcl.tk
- 3.CodePlex: CPU Scheduling Simulator (April 2008), http://cpuss.codeplex.com
- 4.IBM: Telelogic SDL Suite 6.3 User’s Manual (September 2009)Google Scholar
- 5.International Telecommunication Union: Recommendation Z.120, Message Sequence Chart (MSC) (April 2004), http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-Z.120/en
- 6.International Telecommunication Union: Recommendation Z.100, Specification and Description Language (SDL) (November 2007), http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-Z.100/en
- 7.Ontko, R.: MOSS Scheduling Simulator User Guide (May 2001), http://www.ontko.com/moss/sched/user_guide.html
- 8.Robbins, S.: Using the Process Scheduling Simulator (January 2007), http://vip.cs.utsa.edu/simulators/guides/ps/ps_doc.html
- 10.Stallings, W.: Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Tanenbaum, A.S., Woodhull, A.S.: Operating Systems: Design and Implementation. Prentice-Hall International, Englewood Cliffs (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Tang, J.: Taccle: Tcl LALR Parser Generator (July 2008), http://wiki.tcl.tk/11425
- 13.Tang, J.: Fickle: Tcl Lexical Analyzer Generator (July 2010), http://wiki.tcl.tk/3555
- 14.Weller, J.: CPU Scheduler Application. University of Alaska Anchorage (March 2006), http://jimweller.com/jim-weller/jim/java_proc_sched