A Flexible Framework for Local Phase Coherence Computation
- 912 Downloads
Local phase coherence (LPC) is a recently discovered property that reveals the phase relationship in the vicinity of distinctive features between neighboring complex filter coefficients in the scale-space. It has demonstrated good potentials in a number of image processing and computer vision applications, including image registration, fusion and sharpness evaluation. Existing LPC computation method is restricted to be applied to three coefficients spread in three scales in dyadic scale-space. Here we propose a flexible framework that allows for LPC computation with arbitrary selections in the number of coefficients, scales, as well as the scale ratios between them. In particular, we formulate local phase prediction as an optimization problem, where the object function computes the closeness between true local phase and the predicted phase by LPC. The proposed method not only facilitates flexible and reliable computation of LPC, but also demonstrates strong robustness in the presence of noise. The groundwork laid here broadens the potentials of LPC in future applications.
Keywordslocal phase coherence scale-space complex wavelet coefficients feature detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Kovesi, P.: Image features from phase congruency. Journal of Computer Vision Research 1(3), 1–26 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, Z., Li, Q.: Statistics of natural image sequences: temporal motion smoothness by local phase correlations. In: Human Vision and Electronic Imaging XIV, January 19-22. Proc. SPIE, vol. 7240 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Zeng, K., Wang, Z.: Quality-aware video based on robust embedding of intra- and inter-frame reduced-reference features. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Hong Kong, China, September 26-29 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, Z., Simoncelli, E.P.: Local phase coherence and the perception of blur. In: Adv. Neural Information Processing Systems, NIPS 2003, pp. 786–792. MIT Press, Cambridge (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Hassen, R., Wang, Z., Salama, M.: Multi-sensor image registration based-on local phase coherence. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Cairo, Egypt, November 7-11 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Hassen, R., Wang, Z., Salama, M.: Multifocus image fusion using local phase coherence measurement. In: International Conference on Image Analysis and Recognition, Halifax, Canada, July 6-8 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Hassen, R., Wang, Z., Salama, M.: No-reference image sharpness assessment based on local phase coherence measurement. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Dallas, TX, March 14-19 (2010)Google Scholar