Codes and Combinatorial Structures from Circular Planar Nearrings
Nearrings are generalized rings in which addition is not in general abelian and only one distributive law holds. Some interesting combinatorial structures, as tactical configurations and balanced incomplete block designs (BIBDs) naturally arise when considering the class of planar and circular nearrings. In  the authors define the concept of disk and prove that in the case of field-generated planar circular nearrings it yields a BIBD, called disk-design. In this paper we present a method for the construction of an association scheme which makes the disk-design, in some interesting cases, an union of partially incomplete block designs (PBIBDs). Such designs can be used in the construction of some classes of codes for which we are able to calculate the parameters and to prove that in some cases they are also cyclic.
KeywordsBinary codes Planar circular nearring PBIB design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aichinger, E., Binder, F., Ecker, J., Mayr, P., Nöbauer, C.: SONATA - system of near-rings and their applications, GAP package, Version 2 (2003), http://www.algebra.uni-linz.ac.at/Sonata/
- 2.Aichinger, E., Ecker, J., Nöbauer, C.: The use of computers in near-rings theory. In: Fong, Y., et al. (eds.) Near-Rings and Near-Fields, pp. 35–41 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Cramwinckel, J., Roijackers, E., Baart, R., Minkes, E., Ruscio, L., Joyner, D.: GUAVA, a GAP Package for computing with error-correcting codes (2009), http://www.opensourcemath.org/guava/
- 11.Eggetsberger, R.: Circles and their interior points from field generated Ferrero pairs. In: Saad, G., Thomsen, M. (eds.) Nearrings, Nearfields and K-Loops, pp. 237–246 (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Frigeri, A., Morini, F.: Circular planar nearrings: geometrical and combinatorial aspects (submitted), http://arxiv.org/
- 16.Lancaster, P., Timenetsky, M.: The Theory of Matrices with Applications. Academic Press, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 17.McWilliams, F., Sloane, N.: The Theory of Error-correcting Codes. North-Holland, Amsterdam (1977)Google Scholar
- 18.Meir, O.: IP=PSPACE using Error Correcting Codes. Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity 17(137) (2010)Google Scholar