Using Diffusive Load Balancing to Improve Performance of Peer-to-Peer Systems for Hosting Services
This paper presents a diffusive load balancing algorithm for peer-to-peer systems. The algorithm reduces the differences of the available capacities of the nodes in the system using service migrations between nodes in order to obtain similar performance for all nodes. We propose algorithms for handling homogeneous services, i.e., services with equal resource requirements, and for heterogeneous services, i.e., services with diverse resource requirements. We have investigated the effect of load balancing in a simulated peer-to-peer system with a skip-list overlay network. Our simulation results indicate that in case that the churn (nodes joining or leaving) is negligible, a system that hosts services with small resource requirements can maintain equal performance for all nodes with a small variance. In case that churn is high, a system that hosts homogeneous services with large resource requirements can maintain equal node performance within a reasonable variance requiring only few service migrations.
KeywordsLoad balancing diffusive load balancing peer-to-peer systems distributed resource management
- 3.Bertsekas, D.P., Tsitsiklis, J.N.: Parallel and distributed computation: Numerical Methods, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Ledlie, J., Seltzer, M.: Distributed, secure load balancing with skew, heterogeneity and churn. In: Proceedings of 24th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, INFOCOM 2005, March 13-17, vol. 2, pp. 1419–1430 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Qiao, Y., Bochmann, G.v.: A Diffusive Load Balancing Scheme for Clustered Peer-to-Peer Systems. In: Proceedings of 15th ICPADS, pp. 842–847. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Locher, T., Schmid, S., Wattenhofer, R.: eQuus: A Provably Robust and Locality-Aware Peer-to-Peer System. In: Proceedings of P2P 2006, pp. 3–11 (September 2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Li, M., Lee, W.-C.,, S.: DPTree: A Balanced Tree Based Indexing Framework for Peer-to-Peer Systems. In: Proceedings of the 2006 14th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, ICNP 2006, November 12-15, pp. 12–21 (2006)Google Scholar