Operation Based Model Representation: Experiences on Inconsistency Detection
- 813 Downloads
Keeping the consistency between design models is paramount in complex contexts. It turns out that the underlying Model Representation Strategy has an impact on the inconsistency detection activity. The Operation Based strategy represents models as the sequence of atomic editing actions that lead to its current state. Claims have been made about gains in time and space complexity and in versatility by using this kind of representation when compared to the traditional object based one. However, this hypothesis has never been tested in an industrial context before. In this paper, we detail our experience evaluating an Operation Based consistency engine (Praxis) when compared with a legacy system based on EMF. We evaluated a set of industrial models under inconsistency rules written in both Java (for EMF) and PraxisRules (the DSL – Domain Specific Language – for describing inconsistency rules in Praxis). Our results partially confirm the gains claimed by the Operation Based engines.
KeywordsEclipse Modeling Framework Industrial Context Architecture Description Consistency Rule Meta Object Facility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.International Organization for Standardization: ISO/IEC FCD 42010: Systems and software engineering - Architecture Description (June 2010)Google Scholar
- 3.OMG: Meta Object Facility (MOF) 2.0 Core Specification (January 2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Balzer, R.: Tolerating inconsistency. In: Proc. Int’ Conf. Software engineering (ICSE 1991), vol. 1, pp. 158–165 (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Spanoudakis, G., Zisman, A.: Inconsistency management in software engineering: Survey and open research issues. In: Handbook of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, pp. 329–380. World Scientific, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- 8.Elaasar, M., Brian, L.: An overview of UML consistency management. Technical Report SCE-04-18 (August 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Blanc, X., Mougenot, A., Mounier, I., Mens, T.: Detecting model inconsistency through operation-based model construction. In: Robby (ed.) Proc. Int’l Conf. Software Engineering (ICSE 2008), vol. 1, pp. 511–520. ACM, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Voirin, J.L.: Model-driven architecture building for constrained systems. In: CSDM 2010 (2010)Google Scholar