Improving the Message Expansion of the Tangle Hash Function
Tangle is an iterative one-way hash function based on the Merkle-Damgard scheme strengthened by a message dependent round function. It was submitted to the NIST SHA-3 competition, being accepted for first round evaluation. We propose an alternative message expansion scheme for Tangle in order to thwart the collision attacks found during such evaluation. Based on the fact that differences at the beginning of the expanded message contribute to better avalanche, the improved message expansion scheme presents much better properties than the original version while maintaining very good performance characteristics.
Keywordshash cryptography digest sha-3 expansion avalanche tangle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Alvarez, R., McGuire, G., Zamora, A.: The Tangle Hash Function. NIST SHA-3 Competition submission (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Esmaeili, Y.: Some observations on Tangle. Observations on Tangle, NIST SHA-3 Competition (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.National Institute of Standards and Technology: Secure Hash Standard (with change notice). Federal Information Processing Standards Publication FIPS-180-2 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.NIST SHA-3 Competition Resources, http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/sha-3/index.html
- 9.Thomsen, S.S.: Untangled. Observations on Tangle, NIST SHA-3 Competition (2008)Google Scholar