Two-Step Joint Scheduling Scheme for Road Side Units (RSUs)-Based Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks (VANETs)
Recently, the use of Road Side Units (RSUs) has been proposed as a mechanism to handle the connectivity issues in VANETs for data dissemination. In this paper, we provide a model where an RSU deals with both download and upload queues. In VANETs, since vehicles are highly mobile, if as RSU fails to receive the updated information from a vehicle, all the subsequent vehicles receive the stale data from that RSU which substantially decreases the main objective of data dissemination. To find an efficient data dissemination procedure in this circumstances, we propose a second-step scheduling algorithm to form a two-step joint scheduling algorithm in where as the first-step scheduler we use existing on-demand real-time algorithm. We study the performance of a number of different joint scheduling algorithms by varying different on-demand scheduling algorithms as first-step scheduler using simulation experiments with various parameter settings and high workload. Finally, we recommend which two-step joint scheduling algorithm is suitable in this RSU-based VANETs environment.
KeywordsVANETs Road Side Unit (RSU) on-demand scheduling algorithm on-demand broadcast etc
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nadeem, T., Shanakr, P., Iftode, L.: A Comparative Study of Data Dissemination Models for VANETs. In: Vehicular Ad Hoc Network 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, Y., Zhao, J., Cao, G.: On Scheduling Vehicle-Roadside Data Access. In: Vehicular Ad Hoc Network 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, J., Lee, V.C.S., Chan, E.: Scheduling Real-time Multi-item Requests in Wireless On-demand Broadcast Networks. In: 4th International Conference of Mobile Technology, Applications and Systems (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Yi, L.Z., Bin, L., Tong, Z., Wei, Y.: On Scheduling of Data Dissemination in Vehicular Networks with Mesh Backhaul. In: IEEE ICC 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Wong, J.W., Ammar, M.H.: Analysis of Broadcast delivery in Videotex System. Journal of IEEE Transactions on Computers C-34(9) (1985)Google Scholar
- 7.Acharya, S., Alonso, R., Franklin, M., Zdonik, S.: Broadcast Disks: Data Management for Asymmetric Communication Environments. In: ACM SIGMOD Conference, CA (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Wong, J.W.: Broadcast Delivery. Journal of IEEE 76(12) (1988)Google Scholar
- 9.Aksoy, D., Franklin, M.: R ×W : A Scheduling Approach for Large-Scale On-demand Data Broadcast. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 7 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Acharya, S., Muthukrishnan, S.: Scheduling On-demand Broadcasts: New Metrics and Algorithms. In: MOBICOM 1998 (1998)Google Scholar