Coordinated Road Network Search for Multiple UAVs Using Dubins Path
This paper proposes a coordinated road network search algorithm for multiple heterogeneous unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). The road network search problem can be interpreted as the problem to seek minimum-weight postman tours with a graphic representation of the road network. Therefore, the conventional Chinese Postman Problem (CPP) is first presented. We, then, consider physical constraints of UAVs into the search problem, since they cannot be addressed in the typical CPP. This modified search problem is formulated as Multi-choice Multidimensional Knapsack Problem (MMKP), which is to find an optimal solution minimising flight time. The Dubins path planning produces the shortest and flyable paths in consideration of physical constraints, so that the Dubins path is used to calculate the cost function of the modified search problem. The performance of the proposed multiple UAVs road network search algorithm is verified via numerical simulation for a given map.
KeywordsRoad Network Travel Salesman Problem Travel Salesman Problem Search Problem Ground Vehicle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gibbons, A.: Algorithmic Graph Theory. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Ahr, D.: Contributions to Multiple Postmen Problems. PhD thesis, Heidelberg University (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Bektas, T.: The multiple traveling salesman problem: An overview of formulations and solution procedures. The International Journal of Management Science 34(3), 209–219 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Bellingham, J., Tillerson, M., Richards, A., How, J.: Multi-Task Allocation and Path Planning for Cooperating UAVs, Cooperative Control: Models, Applications and Algorithms. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Chandler, P.R., Pachter, M., Swaroop, D., hwlett, J.M., Rasmussen, S., Schumacher, C., Nygard, K.: Compexity in uav cooperation control. In: American Control Conference, Anchorage, AK (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Ryan, J., Bailey, T., Moore, J., Carlton, W.: Reactive tabu search in unmanned aerial reconnaissance simulations. In: 30th Conference on Winter Simulation, Washington, DC (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Easton, K., Burdick, J.: A coverage algorithm for multi-robot boundary inspection. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2005)Google Scholar