Methodologies to Perform GNC Design and Analyses for Complex Dynamic Systems Using Multibody Software
Virtual simulation is currently a key activity that supports the specification, design, verification and operations of space systems. Taking advantage of dynamics research activities, ESA has currently been developing a multibody software (DCAP) together with industry for more than 30 years heritage in space applications. This software is a suite of fast, effective computer programs that provides the user with capability to model, simulate and analyze the dynamics and control performances of coupled rigid and flexible structural systems subjected to possibly time varying structural characteristics and space environmental loads. With the implementation of dedicated interfaces to other specialised software (such as NASTRAN, CATIA or Matlab/Simulink), it is possible to reproduce, with a quite good level of details, most of the key subsystems (such as trajectory, structures, configuration, mechanisms, aerodynamics, GNC and propulsion) of the launch vehicle and/or spacecraft in a single simulation.
In this paper, an overview of two GNC studies, a generic launch vehicle feasibility study and a spacecraft with no-conventional configuration, is presented.
KeywordsMultibody System Launch Vehicle Robust Controller Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Linear Quadratic Regulator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baldesi, G., Sciacovelli, D., Portigliotti, S., Dumontel, M.: DCAP (Dynamics and Control Analysis Package) an effective tool for modeling and simulating of coupled controlled rigid flexible structure in space environment. In: 6th Inter. Conf. Dynamics and Control of Systems and Structures in Space 2004, Riomaggiore, Italy (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.ESA Website, Multibody Dynamics, http://www.esa.int/TEC/mechanisms/SEMZX356JGG_0.html
- 3.ESA Website, Multibody Analysis Activities, http://www.esa.int/TEC/Mechanisms/SEM4A0GMTGG_0.html
- 4.Dumontel, M.L., Portigliotti, S., Venugopal, R.: DCAP: A Tool for Analysis and Simulation of Multi-Body Systems. In: 45th IAF Conference, Oslo (October 1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Franco, R., Dumontel, M.L., Portigliotti, S., Venugopal, R.: The Dynamics and Control Analysis Package (DCAP) - A versatile tool for satellite control. ESA Bulletin Nr. 87 (August 1996), http://esapub.esrin.esa.it/bulletin/bullet87/franco87.htm
- 6.Sciacovelli, D., Kiryenko, S., Baldesi, G., Thirkettle, A., Redondo, R., Resta, P.D.: Vega Prototype 3D Simulation Software with Time Varying structural characteristics. In: 5th Inter. Conference Space Launchers: Missions, Control and Avionics, Madrid, Spain, November 25-27 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Parin, K., Henkel, E., Majed, A.: Enigma Multibody Loads Analysis: Practical Variational Coupled Loads Analysis for Launch Vehicle/Payloads. In: JPL Spacecraft and Launch Vehicle Dynamic Environments Workshop (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Baldesi, G., Kiryenko, S., Mendoza, M.: Multi-Payload Separation Analysis Using Multibody Software. In: 11th European Conference on Spacecraft Structures, Materials & Mechanical Testing (ECSSMMTT), Toulouse, France (September 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Baldesi, G., Yábar, C., Barbagallo, D.: Complete Lift-Off analysis of a launch vehicle using Multibody Software. In: ECCOMAS Multibody Conference, Warsaw, Poland (August 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Möllmann, C., Wiegand, A., Dalheimer, M., Martinez Barrio, A., Kauffmann, J.: Multidisciplinary Design Optimisation of Expendable Launchers in ASTOS. In: 4th ICATT, ESA/ESAC (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Wiegand, A., Möllman, C., Martinez Barrio, A.: New concurrent design optimisation models of ASTOS. In: 4th International Workshop on System and Concurrent Engineering for Space Applications. SECESA, October 13-15 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Smet, G., Yorck, M., Baldesi, G., Palladino, M.: Multi-body Dynamics Software Tool: Case study on the International X-ray Observatory. In: 13th European Space Mechanisms and Tribology Symposium (ESMATS 2009), Vienna, Austria (September 2009)Google Scholar
- 13.CDF ESA Website, Concurrent Design Facility, http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/CDF
- 14.Baldesi, G., Scolamerio, L.: Advanced Multibody Simulation Techniques for Large Deplyable Systems: The IXO Telescope Case. In: 61st International Astronautical Congress 2010, Prague, Czech Republic, September 27- October 1 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Stein, G., Doyle, J.C.: Beyond Singular values and Loop Shapes. AIAA Journal of Guidance and Control (January 1991)Google Scholar
- 16.Chiang, R.: Integrated Robust Control Design Methodology for an Advanced S/C with Large Flexible Structure. In: Proc. of AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, Honolulu, Hawaii, August 18-21 (2008), AIAA Paper # 2008-701Google Scholar