Simulating the Effect of Peacekeeping Operations 2010–2035
We simulate how a set of different UN policies for peace-keeping operations is likely to affect the global incidence of internal armed conflict. The simulation is based on a statistical model that estimates the efficacy of UN peacekeeping operations (PKOs) in preventing the onset, escalation, continuation, and recurrence of internal armed conflict. The model takes into account a set of important conflict predictors for which we have projections up to 2035 from the UN and the IIASA. The estimates are based on a 1970–2008 cross-sectional dataset of changes between conflict levels and new data on PKO budgets and mandates. The simulations show a strong effect of PKOs on the global incidence of major conflicts, although restricted to operations with robust mandates. Extensive use of ‘transformational’ PKOs can reduce the global incidence of the most lethal conflicts with 65%.
KeywordsArmed conflict Simulations UN Peacekeeping operations Conflict prevention Statistical modeling Demographic projections
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Doyle, M.W., Sambanis, N.: Making War & Building Peace: United Nations Peace Operations. Princeton University Press, Princeton (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Hegre, H., Hultman, L., Nygård, H.: Evaluating the conflict-reducing effect of un peace-keeping operations. Paper presented to the National Conference on Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala, September 9-11 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Hegre, H., Karlsen, J., Nygård, H.M., Strand, H., Urdal, H.: Predicting armed conflict 2010–2050. Typescript, University of OsloGoogle Scholar
- 7.Lutz, W., Goujon, A., Samir, K.C., Sanderson, W.: Reconstruction of Population by Age, Sex and Level of Educational Attainment for 120 Countries 1970–2000. IIASA, Laxenburg (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Samir, K.C., Barakat, B., Skirbekk, V., Lutz, W.: Projection of Populations by Age, Sex and Level of Educational Attainment for 120 Countries for 2005–2050. IIASA IR-08-xx. IIASA, Laxenburg (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.United Nations. World Population Prospects. The 2006 Revision. UN, New York (2007)Google Scholar