Scalable Video Coding and Its Applications
Scalable video coding provides an efficient solution when video is delivered through heterogeneous networks to terminals with different computational and display capabilities. Scalable video bitstream can easily be adapted to required spatio-temporal resolution and quality, according to the transmission requirements. In this chapter, the Wavelet-based Scalable Video Coding (W-SVC) architecture is presented in detail. The W-SVC framework is based on wavelet based motion compensated approaches. The practical capabilities of the W-SVC are also demonstrated by using the error resilient transmission and surveillance applications. The experimental result shows that the W-SVC framework produces improved performance than existing method and provides full flexible architecture with respect to different application scenarios.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mrak, M., Sprljan, N., Zgaljic, T., Ramzan, N., Wan, S., Izquierdo, E.: Performance evidence of software proposal for Wavelet Video Coding Exploration group. In: 76th MPEG Meeting ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11/ MPEG2006/M13146, Montreux, Switzerland (April 2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Sweldens, W., Schroder, P.: Building your own wavelets at home. Wavelets in Computer Graphics, ACM SIGGRAPH Course notes, 15–87 (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Zgaljic, T., Sprljan, N., Izquierdo, E.: Bitstream syntax description based adaptation of scalable video. In: Integration of Knowledge, Semantics and Digital Media Technology (EWIMT 2005), November 30, pp. 173–176 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Adami, N., Signoroni, A., Leonardi, R.: State-of-the-Art and Trends in Scalable Video Compression With Wavelet-Based Approaches. IEEE Transc. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 17(9) (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Ramzan, N., Wan, S., Izquierdo, E.: Joint Source-Channel Coding for Wavelet Based Scalable Video Transmission using an Adaptive Turbo Code. EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, Article ID 47517, 12 pages (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Zgaljic, T., Ramzan, N., Akram, M., Izquierdo, E., Caballero, R., Finn, A., Wang, H., Xiong, Z.: Surveillance Centric Coding. In: Proc. Of 5th International Conf. on Visual Information Engineering, VIE (July 2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Banister, B.A., Belzer, B., Fischer, T.R.: Robust video transmission over binary symmetric channels with packet erasures. In: Proc. Data Compression Conference, DCC 2002, pp. 162–171 (2002)Google Scholar