Routing and G-Networks to Optimise Energy and Quality of Service in Packet Networks
We formulate the problem of joint energy and quality of service (QoS) optimisation in packet networks and show how it can be formalised using the control capabilities inherent in G-network theory, which also includes the overhead due to control traffic. Using known energy consumption characteristics of network routers and of network link driver equipment, this approach leads to a polynomial time complexity gradient optimisation algorithm which seeks a judicious balance between the QoS experienced by the users and the overall energy consumption of the network.
KeywordsEnergy Optimisation Wired Networks Packet Routing User QoS Polynomial Time Complexity Optimisation Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gelenbe, E., Silvestri, S.: Reducing power consumption in wired networks. In: 24th International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences (ISCIS 2009), North Cyprus, September 14-16 (2009) (IEEE Digital Library)Google Scholar
- 2.Berl, A., Gelenbe, E., Girolamo, M.D., Giuliani, G., Meer, H.D., Dang, M.Q., Pentikousis, K.: Energy-efficient cloud computing. The Computer Journal (2009) (accepted for publication)Google Scholar
- 4.Chabarek, J., Sommers, J., Barford, P., Estan, C., Tsiang, D., Wright, S.: Power awareness in network design and routing. In: The 27th Conference on Computer Communications, INFOCOM 2008, pp. 457–465. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Vasic, N., Kostic, D.: Energy-aware Traffic Engineering. EPFL, Tech. Rep. (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Nedevschi, S., Popa, L., Iannaccone, G., Ratnasamy, S., Wetherall, D.: Reducing network energy consumption via sleeping and rate-adaptation. In: Proceedings of the 5th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, NSDI 2008, pp. 323–336. USENIX Association, Berkeley (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Chiaraviglio, L., Mellia, M., Neri, F.: Reducing power consumption in backbone networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2009, pp. 1–6 (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Chiaraviglio, L., Mellia, M., Neri, F.: Energy-aware backbone networks: A case study. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops, ICC 2009, pp. 1–5 (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Chiaraviglio, L., Ciullo, D., Leonardi, E., Mellia, M.: How much can the internet be greened? In: GLOBECOM Workshops, November 30-December 4, pp. 1–6. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Gelenbe, E.: Cognitive packet network. U.S. Patent 6804201, (October 11, 2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Lent, R.: Power measurements of processors for routing. ISN Group, EEE Dept., Imperial College, London, UK, Tech. Rep. (March 2010)Google Scholar
- 19.Gelenbe, E., Mitrani, I.: Analysis and Synthesis of Computer Systems. Imperial College Press, World Scientific (2010)Google Scholar
- 21.Baliga, J., Hinton, K., Tucker, R.S.: Energy consumption of the internet. In: Joint International Conf. on Optical Internet, 2007 & 2nd Australian Conf. on Optical Fibre Tech. COIN-ACOFT 2007, pp. 1–3 (June 2007)Google Scholar