An Emerging Role of Leptin in Clinical Psychiatry
Early in the 20th century changes in appetite and weight had already been recognized as important features of severe psychiatric disorders. The present chapter reviews recent evidence suggesting that the fat cell-derived hormone leptin is pathophysiologically involved in these changes. Moreover, data are discussed supporting the speculation that leptin, which is now recognized to be a cytokine-like peptide involved in many aspects of brain function such as neurodevelopment, neuronal survival and various aspects of behavior and cognition, plays a patho-physiological role in behavioral and cognitive changes observed in psychiatric patients and, in particular, in anorexia nervosa and schizophrenia.
KeywordsAnorexia Nervosa Antipsychotic Drug Bulimia Nervosa Severe Psychiatric Disorder Increase Motor Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bukanan R (2000) Schizophrenia: introduction and overview. In: Sadock B, Sadock V (eds) Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, New York, pp 1096–1109Google Scholar
- Hinze-Selch D, Schuld A, Kraus T, Kühn M, Uhr M, Haack M, Pollmächer T (2000) Effects of antidepressants on weight and on the plasma levels of leptin, TNF-α and soluble TNF receptors: a longitudinal study in patients treated with amitriptyline or paroxetine. Neuropsychopharmacology 23(1):13–19PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kraepelin E (1901) Einführung in die psychiatrische klinik. Dreissig Vorlesungen. Barth Verlag, LeipzigGoogle Scholar
- Kraus T, Haack M, Schuld A, Hinze-Selch D, Koethe D, Pollmächer T (2002) Body weight, the tumor necrosis factor system and leptin production during treatment with mirtazapine or venlafaxine. Pharmacopsychiatry, in press.Google Scholar
- Masuzaki H, Ogawa Y, Hosoda K, Miyawaki T, Hanaoka I, Hiraoka J, Yasuno A, Nishimura H, Yoshimasa Y, Nishi S, Nakao K (1997) Glucocorticoid regulation of leptin synthesis and secretion in humans: elevated plasma leptin levels in Cushing’s syndrome. J Clin Endocrin Metab 82:2542–2547CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pollmächer T (2002) Treatment of schizophrenia. In: Smelser NJ, Balters PB (eds) International Encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences. Pergamon, Kidlington, pp 13546–13552Google Scholar
- Shanley LJ, Irving AJ, Harvey J (2001) Leptin enhances NMDA receptor function and modulates hippocampal synaptic plasticity. J Neuroscience 21(24):RC186Google Scholar