Seismicity of the Society and Austral Hotspots in the South Pacific: Seismic Detection, Monitoring and Interpretation of Underwater Volcanism
Since the oceanic column provides an optical, thermal, and to a large extent, chemical shield for the remote sensing of the planet’s surface, careful monitoring of seismic activity on the ocean floor remains one of the few methods of studying submarine volcanic activity. This line of research goes back to more than fifty years ago, when based on a suggestion of (1946), (1954) obtained a detailed history of the 1952 eruption of the Myojin Volcano, south of Japan, using teleseismic T waves propagated in the oceanic column over a distance of 8600 km to a receiving array on the California coastline.
KeywordsSeismic Activity Small Earthquake Volcanic Edifice Seismic Swarm Submarine Eruption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Einarsson P, Brandsdottir B (1984) Seismic acitivity preceding and during the 1983 volcanic eruption in Grimsvotn, Iceland. Jokull 34:13–23Google Scholar
- Johnson RH (1980) Seamounts in the Austral Islands region. National Geographic Society Research Reports 12:389–405Google Scholar
- Klein FW (1978) Hypocenter location program HYPOINVERSE. U.S. Geol Surv Open File Rep 78:694–735Google Scholar
- McNutt SR (1983) A review of volcano seismicity. EOS Trans Am Geophys Union 64:265Google Scholar
- McNutt SR (1986) Observations and analysis of B-type earthquakes, explosions and volcanic tremor at Pavlov Volcano. Bull Seismol Soc Amer 76:153–175Google Scholar
- Reymond D (1986) Mission de reconnaissance du Macdonald. Rapport CEA/LDG/PACGoogle Scholar
- Talandier J (1989) Detection, monitoring and interpretation of submarine volcanic activity. EOS Trans Am Geophys Union Transactions American Geophysical Union 70:560–568Google Scholar
- Talandier J, Okal EA (1979) Human perception of T waves: the June 22,1977 Tonga earthquake felt on Tahiti, Bull Seismol Soc Amer 69:1475–1486Google Scholar
- Talandier J, Okal EA (1982) Crises sismiques au volcan Macdonald (Océan Pacifique Sud). C R Acad Sci Paris Sér II 295:195–200Google Scholar
- Talandier J, Okal EA (1996) Monochromatic T waves from underwater volcanoes in the Pacific Ocean: Ringing witnesses to geyser processes? Bull Seismol Soc Amer 86:1529–1544Google Scholar
- Talandier J, Okal EA (1998) On the mechanism of conversion of seismic waves to and from T waves in the vicinity of island shores. Bull Seismol Soc Amer 88:621–632Google Scholar
- Talandier J, Okal EA, Craig H (1988) Seismic and in situ observations of Macdonald Seamount eruption. 11 October 1987. EOS Trans Am Geophys Union Trans Amer Geophys Un 69:258–259Google Scholar