An Investigation on ALD Thin Film Evanescent Waveguide Sensor for Biomedical Application
In this paper, we investigate the use of Al2O3 and TiO2 deposited by Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) as evanescent waveguide sensors. These sensors will be employed to detect bacteria concentration in drain fluid in post anastomosis surgery. Surface roughness, conformality, and homogeneity of the sensor material are very important factors to obtain high sensitive sensor. ALD fulfill these requirements. Surface roughness before and after fabrication are investigated using AFM. As we aim at freestanding structure the buckling of freestanding ALD films is studied. Finally we build an optical characterization set up and measured the propagation loss of Al2O3 and TiO2 waveguides at 1.3 um. The results show that ALD thin films can be used as waveguide material to obtain very high sensitive sensors.
KeywordsEvanescent waveguide Atomic layer deposition Propagation loss
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chaeron, S.R.A.: An optical measurement system for the analysis of bacteria in drain fluid, in Dept. of Microelectronics. vol. Master Delft. TU Delft, The Netherlands (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Kube, R., Mroczkowski, P., Granowski, D., Benedix, F., Sahm, M., Schmidt, U., Gastinger, I., Lippert, H.: Anastomotic leakage after colon cancer surgery: A predictor of significant morbidity and hospital mortality, and diminished tumour-free survival. European Journal of Surgical Oncology (EJSO) 36, 120–124 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Herrmann, C.F., DelRio, F.W., Miller, D.C., George, S.M., Bright, V.M., Ebel, J.L., Strawser, R.E., Cortez, R., Leedy, K.D.: Alternative dielectric films for rf MEMS capacitive switches deposited using atomic layer deposited Al2O3/ZnO alloys. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 135, 262–272 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Timoshenko, S.P., Gere, J.M.: Theory of Elastic Stability, 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 10.Pollock, C., Lipson, M.: Integrated Photonics. Kluwer Academic Publication, Massachussets (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Hammer, M.: 2-D multilayer waveguide mode solver effective index approximation (2010), http://wwwhome.math.utwente.nl/~hammerm/eims.html