Knowledge Engineering for Historians on the Example of the Catalogus Professorum Lipsiensis
Although the Internet, as an ubiquitous medium for communication, publication and research, already significantly influenced the way historians work, the capabilities of the Web as a direct medium for collaboration in historic research are not much explored. We report about the application of an adaptive, semantics-based knowledge engineering approach for the development of a prosopographical knowledge base on the Web - the Catalogus Professorum Lipsiensis. In order to enable historians to collect, structure and publish prosopographical knowledge an ontology was developed and knowledge engineering facilities based on the semantic data wiki OntoWiki were implemented. The resulting knowledge base contains information about more than 14.000 entities and is tightly interlinked with the emerging Web of Data. For access and exploration by other historians a number of access interfaces were developed, such as a visual SPARQL query builder, a relationship finder and a Linked Data interface. The approach is transferable to other prosopographical research projects and historical research in general, thus improving the collaboration in historic research communities and facilitating the reusability of historic research results.
- 3.Berners-lee, T., Chen, Y., Chilton, L., Connolly, D., Dhanaraj, R., Hollenbach, J., Lerer, A., Sheets, D.: Tabulator: Exploring and analyzing linked data on the semantic web. In: Procedings of the 3rd International Semantic Web User Interaction Workshop (SWUI 2006), p. 6 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Heim, P., Hellmann, S., Lehmann, J., Lohmann, S., Stegemann, T.: RelFinder: revealing relationships in RDF knowledge bases. In: Chua, T.-S., Kompatsiaris, Y., Mérialdo, B., Haas, W., Thallinger, G., Bailer, W. (eds.) SAMT 2009. LNCS, vol. 5887, pp. 182–187. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Nielsen, F.Å.: Brede wiki: Neuroscience data structured in a wiki. In: 4th Semantic Wiki Workshop (SemWiki 2009) at ESWC 2009. Proceedings. CEUR WS, vol. 464 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Pfeifer, B., Senftleben, S.: Die Personennamendatei (PND). Leipziger Beiträge zur Informatik, vol. Band XXI, pp. 137–144. LIV (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Robertson, B.: Exploring historical rdf with heml. Changing the Center of Gravity: Transforming Classical Studies Through Cyberinfrastructure 3(1) (Winter 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Rospocher, M., Ghidini, C., Pammer, V., Serafini, L., Lindstaedt, S.N.: Moki: the modelling wiki. In: 4th Semantic Wiki Workshop (SemWiki 2009) at the 6th European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2009), Hersonissos, Greece. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 464 (June 1, 2009)Google Scholar