Counting Lymphocytes in Histopathology Images Using Connected Components
In this paper, a method for automatic counting of lymphocytes in histopathology images using connected components is presented. Our multi-step approach can be divided into two main parts: processing of histopathology images, and recognition of interesting regions. In the processing part, we use thresholding and morphology methods as well as connected components to improve the quality of the images for recognition. The recognition part is based on a modified template matching method. The experimental results achieved for our algorithm prove its high robustness for this kind of applications.
KeywordsGround Truth Follicular Lymphoma Template Match High Robustness Geodesic Active Contour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Basavanhally, A., Ganesan, S., Agner, S., Monaco, J., Feldman, M., Tomaszewski, J., Bhanot, G., Madabhushi, A.: Computerized image-based detection and grading of lymphocytic infiltration in her2+ breast cancer histopathology. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 57(3), 642–653 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Demir, C., Yener, B.: Automated cancer diagnosis based on histopathological images: a systematic survey. Technical report, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Computer Science (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Fatakdawala, H., Xu, J., Basavanhally, A., Bhanot, G., Ganesan, S., Feldman, M., Tomaszewski, J., Madabhushi, A.: Expectation maximization driven geodesic active contour with overlap resolution (emagacor): Application to lymphocyte segmentation on breast cancer histopathology. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 57(7), 1676–1689 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Sertel, O., Kong, J., Catalyurek, U.V., Lozanski, G., Saltz, J.H., Gurcan, M.N.: Histopathological image analysis using model-based intermediate representations and color texture: follicular lymphoma grading. Journal of Signal Processing 55(1-3), 169–183 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Sertel, O., Kong, J., Lozanski, G., Shana’ah, A., Catalyurek, U., Saltz, J., Gurcan, M.: Texture classification using nonlinear color quantization: application to histopathological image analysis. Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 597–600 (March 2008)Google Scholar