Toward the Detection of Urban Infrastructure’s Edge Shadows
In this paper, we propose a novel technique to detect the shadows cast by urban infrastructure, such as buildings, billboards, and traffic signs, using a sequence of images taken from a fixed camera. In our approach, we compute two different background models in parallel: one for the edges and one for the reflected light intensity. An algorithm is proposed to train the system to distinguish between moving edges in general and edges that belong to static objects, creating an edge background model. Then, during operation, a background intensity model allow us to separate between moving and static objects. Those edges included in the moving objects and those that belong to the edge background model are subtracted from the current image edges. The remaining edges are the ones cast by urban infrastructure. Our method is tested on a typical crossroad scene and the results show that the approach is sound and promising.
Keywordsbackground modelling edge detection shadow segmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Horprasert, T., Harwood, D., Davis, L.: A Statistical Approach for Real-Time Robust Background Subtraction and Shadow Detection. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Jain, V., Kimia, B., Mundy, J.: Background Modeling based on Subpixel Edges. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP 2007, vol. 6 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Papoulis, A., Pillai, S.U., Unnikrishna, S.: Probability, random variables, and stochastic processes. McGraw-Hill, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Ren, K., Sun, H., Jia, Q., Shi, J.: Building recognition from aerial images combining segmentation and shadow. In: IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Intelligent Systems, pp. 578–582 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Toyama, K., Krumm, J., Brumitt, B., Meyers, B.: Wallflower: Principles and Practice of Background Maintenance. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, p. 255 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Watanabe, S., Miyajima, K., Mukawa, N.: Detecting Changes of Buildings from Aerial Images using Shadow and Shading Model. In: International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Wei, Y., Zhao, Z., Song, J.: Urban building extraction from high-resolution satellite panchromatic image using clustering and edge detection. In: IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, vol. 3 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Yang, Y., Ming, Y., Yongchao, M.: A Strategy to Detect the Moving Vehicle Shadows Based on Gray-Scale Information. In: International Conference on Intelligent Networks and Intelligent Systems, pp. 358–361 (2009)Google Scholar