Survey of Dirac: A Wavelet Based Video Codec for Multiparty Video Conferencing and Broadcasting
The basic aim of this book chapter is to provide a survey on BBC Dirac Video Codec. That survey, would not only provide the in depth description of different version of Dirac Video Codec but would also explain the algorithmic explanation of Dirac at implementation level. This chapter would not only provide help to new researchers who are working to understand BBC Dirac video codec but also provide them future directions and ideas to enhance features of BBC Dirac video codec.
Compression is significantly important because of being bandwidth limited or expensive for widespread use of multimedia contents over the internet. Compression takes the advantage in limitation of human perception due to which it is not able to process all the information of perfectly reproduced pictures. We can compress the pictures without the loss of perceived picture quality. Compression is used to exploit the limited storage and transmission capacity as efficiently as possible.
The need of efficient codec’s has gained significant attraction amongst researchers. The applications of codec’s range from compressing high resolution files, broadcasting, live video streaming, pod casting, and desktop production. Depending on the type of application, the requirements of the codec’s change.
KeywordsMotion Vector Motion Estimation Motion Compensation Video Codec Arithmetic Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Onthriar, K., Loo, K.K., Xue, Z.: Performance Comparison of Emerging Dirac Video Codec with H.264/AVC. In: ICDT 2006 (September 2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Ghanbari, M., Crawford, D., Fleury, M., Khan, E., Woods, J., Lu, H., Razavi, R.: Future Performance of Video Codecs. Video Networking Laboratory (November 2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Tun, M., Loo, K.K., Cosmas, J.: Semi-Hierarchical Based Motion Estimation Algorithm for the Dirac Video Encoder. WSEAS Transactions on Signal Processing 4(5), 261–270 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Ali, A., Ali, S.F., Khan, N.A., Masud, S.: Performance improvement in motion estimation of Dirac wavelet based video codec. In: Proc. ISCIT, Icheon, South Korea, pp. 764–769 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Bradley, A.P., Stentiford, F.W.M.: JPEG 2000 and Region of Interest Coding. In: DICTA 2002: Digital Image Computing Techniques and Applications, Melbourne, Australia, January 21-22 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Ravi, A.: Performance Analysis and Comparison of Dirac Video Codec With H.264 / Mpeg-4 Part 10 AvcGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ahmad, A., Hussnain, M., Nazir, A., Khan, N., Masud, S.: Open Source Wavelet Based Video Conferencing System using SIP. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Information Society (I-Society 2010), London, UK, June 28-30 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Dirac developer support, http://dirac.sourceforge.net/documentation/algorithm/algorithm/intro.htm
- 10.Eeckhaut, H., Schrauwen, B., Christiaens, M., Van Campenhout, J.: Speeding up the Dirac’s Entropy Coder. In: Proceedings of 5th WSEAS Int. Conf. on Multimedia, Internet and Video Technologies, Corfu, Greece, August 17-19, pp. 120–125 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Slides of Block diagram of DCT Based Codec, http://eeweb.poly.edu/%7Eyao/EL6123/videocoding.pdf
- 12.Discrete Wavelet Transform, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_wavelet_transform
- 15.Tun, M., Fernando, W.A.C.: An Error-Resilient Algorithm Based on Partitioning of the Wavelet Transform Coefficients for a DIRAC Video Codec. In: Information Visualization, July 05-07, vol. IV, pp. 615–620 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Andreopoulos, Y., van der Schaar, M., Munteanu, A., Barbarien, J., Schelkens, P., Cornelis, J.: Fully-scalable wavelet video coding using in-band motion compensated temporal filtering. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2003), Hong Kong, China, vol. 3, pp. 417–420 (April 2003)Google Scholar