Cube Based Summaries of Large Association Rule Sets
A major problem when dealing with association rules post-processing is the huge amount of extracted rules. Several approaches have been implemented to summarize them. However, the obtained summaries are generally difficult to analyse because they suffer from the lack of navigational tools. In this paper, we propose a novel method for summarizing large sets of association rules. Our approach enables to obtain from a rule set, several summaries called Cube Based Summaries (CBSs). We show that the CBSs can be represented as cubes and we give an overview of OLAP navigational operations that can be used to explore them. Moreover, we define a new quality measure called homogeneity, to evaluate the interestingness of CBSs. Finally, we propose an algorithm that generates a relevant CBS w.r.t. a quality measure, to initialize the exploration. The evaluation of our algorithm on benchmarks proves the effectiveness of our approach.
KeywordsAssociation rules summary cubes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, R., Imieliński, T., Swami, A.: Mining association rules between sets of items in large databases. In: SIGMOD, pp. 207–216. ACM, New York (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Liu, B., Hsu, W., Ma, Y.: Pruning and summarizing the discovered associations. In: KDD 1999, pp. 125–134 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Srikant, R., Vu, Q., Agrawal, R.: Mining association rules with item constraints. In: KDD 1997, pp. 67–73 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Afrati, F., Gionis, A., Mannila, H.: Approximating a collection of frequent sets. In: KDD 2004, pp. 12–19 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Chandola, V., Kumar, V.: Summarization — compressing data into an informative representation. In: ICDM 2005, pp. 98–105 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Yan, X., Cheng, H., Han, J., Xin, D.: Summarizing itemset patterns: a profile-based approach. In: KDD 2005, pp. 314–323 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Boulicaut, J.F., Marcel, P., Rigotti, C.: Query driven knowledge discovery in multidimensional data. In: DOLAP 1999, pp. 87–93 (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, B., Zhao, K., Benkler, J., Xiao, W.: Rule interestingness analysis using olap operations. In: KDD 2006, pp. 297–306 (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Zaki, M.J., Hsiao, C.J.: Charm: An efficient algorithm for closed itemset mining. In: SDM, pp. 457–473 (2002)Google Scholar